

The Philippine Embassy in Israel confirmed on Sunday the death of a Filipino during a missile attack in Tel Aviv on February 28.
The victim was identified as Mary Ann V. de Vera, 32, who worked as a caregiver and had been in Israel since 2019, seven years ago.
Her identity was confirmed through biometric records at the Abu Kabir Forensic Institute, where her husband—also an Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) in Israel—positively identified her remains.
This marks the first Filipino casualty amid the heightened conflict in the Middle East.
Earlier this evening, President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. broke the news about de Vera’s death. He said she had died on the way to a bomb shelter with her ward. She was struck by shrapnel from a bomb.
“Siya po ay isang caregiver sa Israel na tinutulungan ang kanyang alaga para dalhin sa bomb shelter ngunit hindi na po nakaabot sa bomb shelter at inabutan na sila," Marcos said.
“Siya ay namatay dahil tinamaan ng shrapnel mula sa mga bumagsak na bomba,” he added.
The Embassy assured de Vera’s husband of the Philippine government’s full support.
All concerned government agencies, such as the Department of National Defense (DND) and Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), assured they are closely monitoring the situation in the Middle East. Moreover, the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is working with the Philippine Embassy in Israel to ensure immediate assistance for and the safety of Filipinos in the region.
