DZRH Logo
Malaysian national confirmed dead in 9-storey building collapse in Angeles City
Malaysian national confirmed dead in 9-storey building collapse in Angeles City
Nation
Malaysian national confirmed dead in 9-storey building collapse in Angeles City
by Mary Antalan24 May 2026
FILE PHOTO

A Malaysian national who was trapped in an apartelle beside the collapsed nine-storey building in Barangay Balibago, Angeles City, Pampanga was confirmed dead, authorities said Sunday.

The fatality was identified as Mohd Rezal Bin Abdullah, according to a report by Val Gonzales. The Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) confirmed that his remains had already been recovered from the rubble.

Earlier, Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Vince Dizon said rescuers were still able to communicate with the male tourist through his cellphone while search and rescue operations were ongoing.

The building collapsed around 2:30 a.m. on Sunday, according to Barangay Chairman Joseph Ponce. Ponce said the structure, which began construction in 2023, remained unfinished and had long been delayed.

Authorities estimate that more than 20 individuals may still be trapped beneath the debris following the collapse of the building, which was reportedly still under construction.

Some of the victims were believed to be workers and their family members staying in nearby barracks. Among those reportedly trapped were the cousin of a worker identified as Bryan and the latter’s 17-year-old son.

Search, rescue, and retrieval operations remain ongoing as BFP personnel continue manually clearing debris from the site.

Personnel from the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA), led by General Manager Nicolas Torre III, also arrived at the scene to assist in the operations.

Meanwhile, electricity in parts of the affected area was temporarily cut off to prevent possible electrocution and ensure the safety of rescuers and residents.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read