DZRH Logo
At least 20 feared trapped after nine-storey building collapses in Angeles City
At least 20 feared trapped after nine-storey building collapses in Angeles City
Province
At least 20 feared trapped after nine-storey building collapses in Angeles City
by Mary Antalan24 May 2026
PHOTO COURTESY: Angeles City Information Office

At least 15 to 20 individuals are feared trapped after a nine-storey under-construction building collapsed in Barangay Balibago, Angeles City early Sunday, according to local authorities.

Barangay Balibago Captain Joseph Ponce said among those believed to be inside are a family of three—a husband, wife, and a young child—who were reportedly resting in a small structure within the construction site when the incident happened. Most of those working at the site were construction workers, some of whom had reportedly arrived only last week from Metro Manila.

“Malalaking debris po ang nandito ngayon, ang pinaniniwalaan naming more or less 15 katao ang natrap pa sa loob ng gumuhong building,” Ponce said.

Ponce said the structure, which began construction in 2023, remained unfinished and had long been delayed. He added that the collapse occurred around 2:30 p.m., prompting an immediate response after residents reported that the building had fully given way.

A Korean national staying in a nearby hotel was also injured when the collapse affected an adjacent structure. Parts of the debris reportedly struck the hotel building, causing damage. The foreign national was immediately brought to a hospital for treatment.

Meanwhile, two barbecue vendors operating within the barracks area of the construction site survived the collapse and are now in stable condition. Two others who sustained minor injuries are also recovering.

Authorities said at least 10 individuals have so far been confirmed as survivors, with 8 already rescued, based on initial figures from the Angeles City Information Office.

Search and rescue operations are ongoing, but responders are struggling to clear massive concrete debris and steel reinforcements that have pinned down possible victims. More than six hours since the incident, no additional rescues have been reported from deeper sections of the rubble.

Local officials have appealed for the immediate deployment of heavy equipment to accelerate clearing operations and improve chances of locating survivors.

The cause of the structural collapse remains under investigation.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said it is still awaiting official reports but confirmed that rescue operations are ongoing. It added that the Regional Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council III (RDRRMC III) is coordinating with the Angeles City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office, which is leading response efforts on the ground.

Authorities continue to monitor the situation as rescue operations intensify.

Share
Related Topics
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read