DZRH Logo
Leachon on PhilHealth’s ₱60-B return: ‘Hindi naman isinauli sa 'tin, double jeopardy’
Leachon on PhilHealth’s ₱60-B return: ‘Hindi naman isinauli sa 'tin, double jeopardy’
Nation
Leachon on PhilHealth’s ₱60-B return: ‘Hindi naman isinauli sa 'tin, double jeopardy’
by Mary Antalan18 May 2026

Health reform advocate Dr. Tony Leachon questioned the return of ₱60 billion to the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation, saying taxpayers are still carrying the burden after the funds were restored through the national budget.

In an interview on DZRH’s Dos Por Dos on Monday, Leachon said the ₱60 billion was not truly “returned” to the public, as the amount was allegedly charged again to taxpayers’ money, describing the situation as “double jeopardy.”

According to Leachon, while the Supreme Court declared the transfer of PhilHealth funds to the National Treasury unconstitutional, the replacement funds were sourced from the 2026 national budget instead of being restored directly from the original disbursement.

“Zero ang budget for PhilHealth. Ang hinihingi ng PhilHealth noon ay ₱75 billion. Kung matatandaan, ₱60 billion ang ipinasauli ng Supreme Court noong December 5,” Leachon said.

“Ang hindi alam ng taumbayan, after the 2024 diversion, unconstitutionally, hindi binigyan ng budget ang PhilHealth — zero. Ang nangyayari, yung ₱60 billion, kung mapapansin, hindi naman isinauli sa ’tin, kinarga sa taxpayers’ money. So double jeopardy,” he added.

Leachon also called for accountability among officials involved in the transfer, including Executive Secretary Ralph Recto, former PhilHealth president and CEO Emmanuel Ledesma Jr., and Health Secretary Ted Herbosa, saying they could face possible plunder charges.

In December 2025, the Supreme Court ordered the government to return the funds transferred from PhilHealth to the National Treasury through the 2026 General Appropriations Act.

Following the ruling, PhilHealth announced a major expansion in its benefit coverage, with projected benefit payouts expected to nearly triple to around ₱378 billion to ₱400 billion this year.

On May 8, 2026, the state insurer confirmed that the ₱60 billion had been returned in compliance with the directive of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.

Citing data from the University of the Philippines School of Economics (University of the Philippines School of Economics), Leachon pointed to what he described as persistent funding gaps in PhilHealth subsidies.

According to the figures he cited:

  • In 2022, PhilHealth supposedly required ₱306 billion in subsidy support, but only received ₱80 billion, leaving a ₱226-billion gap.
  • In 2023, the required subsidy reportedly reached ₱318 billion, but only ₱71 billion was provided, resulting in a ₱247-billion gap.
  • In 2024, PhilHealth was supposed to receive ₱324 billion, but only obtained ₱51 billion.
  • In 2025, the required subsidy allegedly rose to ₱330 billion, yet PhilHealth received zero allocation.

“Dapat malaman ng taumbayan. In the midst of many crises — hindi lang energy crisis, PhilHealth at political crises — balik tayo sa ipinaglalaban natin tungkol sa kalusugan,” Leachon said.

“Pag hindi natin ito sinusugan, aabusuhin at aabusuhin,” he added.

In February 2025, Leachon filed a petition for certiorari and prohibition before the Supreme Court challenging provisions of the 2025 General Appropriations Act over the zero subsidy allocation for PhilHealth.

The petition sought to declare the zero allocation unconstitutional and compel government agencies to restore and release funding for the state health insurer.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read