DZRH Logo
House Committee on Justice prepares start of impeachment proceedings vs. VP Duterte
House Committee on Justice prepares start of impeachment proceedings vs. VP Duterte
Nation
House Committee on Justice prepares start of impeachment proceedings vs. VP Duterte
by Mary Antalan22 March 2026
Photo from the House of Representatives

The House Committee on Justice is preparing to start impeachment proceedings against Vice President Sara Duterte on Wednesday, March 25.

According to Justice Committee member and Bicol-Saro Partylist Rep. Terry Ridon, the initial hearings will focus on preliminary matters, including the determination and resolution of various motions. Among these is a motion regarding the custody of Ramil Madriaga, filed by Akbayan Partylist Rep. Chel Diokno, as well as the issuance of subpoenas for documents and witnesses related to the case.

"Bahagi yung pagtalakay ng preliminary matters. Kasama po dyan 'yung pag-determine at pagdecide ng mga motions. Una patungkol sa pagdecide sa custody ni Mr. Ramil, which is yung motion po ni Cong. Chel Diokno, yun pong issuances ng subpoenas sa lahat ng mga dokumento at witnesses at resource persons sa mga impeachment complaints," Ridon said in an interview during Sunday's Isyung Pambayan.

The scope of the subpoenas will include key documents such as Statements of Assets, Liabilities, and Net Worth (SALNs), tax and bank records, corporate records of the Duterte-Carpio family, and reports from the Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC). Other evidence may include video documentation of alleged death threats against President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., First Lady Liza Araneta Marcos, and former House Speaker Martin Romualdez, as well as issues on the use of confidential funds.

Ridon said that the committee will also review whether complainants and respondents are ready to present their evidence. Ridon emphasized that both parties may submit written submissions if they cannot attend in person.

"Titingnan po natin kung makakapresenta na po ng ebidensya yung mga complainants at endorsers, kung handa na rin po ba sila sa kanilang presentation at mga ebidensya at documentation," he said.

Meanwhile, the lawmaker clarified that Vice President Duterte’s attendance is voluntary and that her legal rights will be respected.

"Wala naman po tayong problema kung hindi dadalo ang pangalawang pangulo. Kasama po sa kaniyang karapatan bilang respondent ang pagdalo at hindi pagdalo, ang pagpresenta ng ebidensya at hindi pagpresenta ng ebidensya," Ridon said.

When asked if the impeachment complaints would face challenges in reaching the plenary, Ridon expressed confidence, citing prior sufficiency-in-substance votes.

"Kung pagbabatayan po natin yung boto noong sufficiency in substance vote, nakita po natin na 54 votes na po yung nakuha at that point, lagpas kalahati na po nung 106 votes para makapag-impeach ng isang impeachable official."

Meanwhile, House Committee on Justice Chairperson and Batangas 2nd District Representative Gerville Luistro previously noted that the transmission of impeachment complaints could be fast-tracked if Vice President Duterte skips the hearings.

Luistro explained that the Vice President’s absence would mean no counter-evidence could be presented to contest the allegations, which could lead to the immediate transmission of the complaint to the Senate, acting as the impeachment court.

On March 18, House Committee on Justice has declared the third and fourth impeachment complaints filed against Vice President Sara Duterte "sufficient in grounds".

“There is an amended motion to declare the third impeachment complaint, the Zabalia et al impeachment complaint, sufficient in grounds," Luistro said.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read