Olympic gold medalist Hidilyn Diaz’s manager has released an official statement clarifying the much‑debated “free fuel for life” incentive previously linked to the athlete’s historic victory at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
In a statement released on Friday, March 13, manager Noel Ferrer reiterated appreciation for all who supported Diaz after her Olympic triumph and explained that the fuel benefit announced by Phoenix Petroleum—widely publicized as “free fuel for life”—was initially presented as a gesture of support with no communicated restrictions at the time it was given.
However, Ferrer said that conditions related to brand alignment were only raised about two years later, a development he described as surprising since no such terms were part of the original understanding.
Ferrer defended his earlier comments about the incentive, saying they were factual and based on the circumstances as they occurred. He noted that any public reaction was not sought by Diaz or her team and was not intended to create hostility toward any party involved.
The statement also confirmed that Phoenix decided not to continue the fuel benefit, a decision the camp respects. Despite the controversy, Ferrer emphasized Diaz’s enduring gratitude for the support she has received over the years.
Phoenix Petroleum had previously issued its own statement clarifying that the “free fuel for life” offer had ended once Diaz entered a contract with another company, underlining that the company’s original offer was promotional and not legally binding.
Diaz’s Olympic journey, he said, was driven by her desire to bring pride and honor to the Filipino people—not by incentives


