

Phoenix Petroleum on Thursday issued a statement clarifying the circumstances behind the “free fuel for life” incentive previously granted to Olympic champion Hidilyn Diaz, saying the donation arrangement ended after two years due to changes in brand alignment.
The company said Diaz received her second year of fuel donation in March 2022, but later declined to promote the partnership online after entering into a contract with another petroleum brand.
Phoenix explained that corporate sponsorships and donations are often guided by certain conditions, including exclusivity and brand partnerships, making it difficult to continue the arrangement under the same terms.
The clarification came after Diaz’s manager, Noel Ferrer, revealed in a social media post that the gold medalist from the 2020 Tokyo Olympics had only received the fuel benefit for two years.
Phoenix said it had fulfilled its commitments to Diaz and other Filipino medalists and expressed disappointment that the issue resurfaced publicly without prior communication, adding that it remains proud of its support for the country’s athletes and maintains its respect for Diaz and the rest of the Philippine sports community.
