

Warning: This article contains mentions of gun violence, death and school shooting.
The Grade 8 student who allegedly opened fire at Ateneo de Zamboanga University Junior High School went to the fifth floor of the building and shot himself after the incident, according to the Police Regional Office-Zamboanga.
In an exclusive interview on DZRH's Public Service Hour on Tuesday, August 18, Police Regional Office-Zamboanga PIO PMaj. Shiela Mae Chang said the suspect first went to the classroom of the Grade 10 student who was later killed.
“As per the report na natanggap natin ma'am, pumunta po itong shooter natin dun sa classroom nung victim natin at dun po siya namaril,” Chang said.
She said the classroom was located on the fourth floor. After the shooting, the suspect went up to the fifth floor, where he shot himself.
“Umakyat po siya ng fifth floor and then sa kasamaang palad, doon niya po binaril ang kanyang sarili,” Chang said.
Chang confirmed that the incident left two fatalities—both male students. The alleged shooter was a Grade 8 student, while the victim was a Grade 10 student. Police have withheld their identities because they are minors.
The police official also clarified that earlier reports claiming a teacher was among those shot were incorrect.
“Negative po. Negative on that po ma'am,” Chang said when asked about reports that the suspect first shot a teacher.
She emphasized that there were only two confirmed fatalities as of the interview, including the suspect.
Chang said police recovered firearms from the area, including a pistol reportedly believed to be a 9mm Glock. A second pistol was also recovered, although authorities were still awaiting confirmation of its caliber and other details.
Meanwhile, reports that the suspect was livestreaming the incident on Facebook were still being validated. Chang said police were coordinating with the Regional Anti-Cybercrime Unit 9 (RACU9) to determine whether the account and livestream were authentic.
“Chine-check pa po natin in coordination with RACU9. Pinapa-validate po natin kung talaga po ang account na iyon, kung totoo man pong nag-Facebook Live siya,” she said.
Police were likewise investigating reports that the suspect had been shouting during the incident, with authorities still working to determine what he was allegedly saying.
Chang said the exact location where the suspect shot himself on the fifth floor had yet to be established, although the floor also contains classrooms.
Authorities have formed a Special Investigation Task Group in response to the shooting. Chang said the task group includes various PNP units to expedite the investigation and examine all possible angles, including the suspect’s background, circumstances and possible motive.
“Gusto po naming malaman [kung] saan po nanggaling yung motivation nitong estudyante para gawin po yung pangyayaring yun,” Chang said. “Kailangan po talaga namin ng deeper investigation po para ma-establish po namin kung ano yung motive.”
Police are also coordinating with the suspect’s parents, the school and other individuals who may provide information relevant to the investigation.
Chang said the bodies of the two fatalities had already been released, with one reportedly turned over to the family for Muslim burial rites. Ateneo de Zamboanga University has also suspended classes following the incident.
The police official appealed to the public to rely only on verified information and avoid sharing unconfirmed reports, particularly on social media.
“Kami po sa PNP ay pasensya na po kung medyo matagal kaming maglabas ng information. Pero, we assure you na ang nilalabas po namin ng information is truly verified and validated,” Chang said.
She added that inaccurate reports about the number of victims could cause unnecessary panic among parents and the wider community.
Police were continuing to verify reports concerning other possible victims who may have been brought to hospitals, while the investigation into the shooting remains ongoing.
