DZRH Logo
Zaldy Co willing to testify in impeachment complaint vs. Marcos — Defensor
Zaldy Co willing to testify in impeachment complaint vs. Marcos — Defensor
Nation
Zaldy Co willing to testify in impeachment complaint vs. Marcos — Defensor
by Luwela Amor23 January 2026

Former Ako Bicol Partylist Rep. Zaldy Co is prepared to testify as a witness should impeachment proceedings against President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. move forward, according to former Anakalusugan Party-list Representative Mike Defensor.

During a press conference in Quezon City on Friday, January 23, led by former Ilocos Sur Governor Chavit Singson and Duterte allies, Defensor said Co allegedly possesses firsthand knowledge of transactions cited in the complaint, including alleged bribery and irregularities involving government funds.

“He [former Rep. Zaldy Co] is willing to be a witness,” Defensor said.

“Kung magagawa ito sa impeachment at naniniwala sila na dapat malaman ang katotohanan at syempre bigyan din ng pagkakataon ang presidente na sumagot sa mga charges na nandito,” he added.

According to Defensor, Co is willing to testify via video conference on issues related to alleged graft and corruption, including supposed cash deliveries and the handling of unprogrammed budget allocations.

Co previously served as chair of the House Committee on Appropriations, a role Defensor said places him in a “critical” position to know how funds were allegedly distributed.

Meanwhile, lawyer Ferdinand Topacio also cited a precedent he had handled before, referencing the Senate investigation into Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (POGOs), where witnesses were allowed to testify via video conference from China and Thailand under the leadership of Senator Risa Hontiveros.

The group also presented a suitcase they alleged was used in the plunder of funds linked to flood control projects.

“Noong malaman niya na magfafile ng impeachment complaint at lalo’t malaman niya na blinock, he is willing to testify to enhance the impeachment complaint we have file,” he said.

“Ang sabi niya noon nga sa Senate ay gusto na niya sa Blue Ribbon Committee hindi siya pinayagan. Inaasahan niya at inaasahan namin na dito sa impeachment complaint na papayagan siya magtestify,” he added.

While Defensor did not disclose how he communicated with Co, he stressed that Co’s testimony would be critical.

“What is important here is I think…Zaldy Co is very critical. Sabi nga ni Harold isang sindikato ito, na may nagsalita na at nagtuturo. Importante na malaman natin ang katotohanan dito. Kung walang alam ang Presidente, sinasabi niyang hindi siya tumatanggap tingnan natin ipaliwanag niya. Pero Zaldy Co is very clear about it and very direct on the bribery at ‘yung pagbibigay ng delivery ng pera kay Pang. Bongbong Marcos,” he said.

The group argued that Co would be the “best witness” in the alleged kickbacks scheme because he is supposedly a co-conspirator.

Under the rules of evidence, they said, a co-conspirator may testify as a witness, countering claims that Co has no relevant knowledge of the allegations.

They outlined grounds for seeking Marcos’ removal from office, including alleged betrayal of public trust and abuse of authority in connection with the arrest of former President Rodrigo Duterte and his turnover to the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, Netherlands.

Their filing would have been the third impeachment complaint lodged this week. However, the Office of the Secretary General (OSC) of the House refused to receive the document on Thursday.

Defensor criticized the OSC for refusing to accept the impeachment complaint, saying the move deprived them of due process and prevented serious allegations from being formally heard.

They are mulling refiling the complaint on Monday, January 26 when Congress resumes session.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read