DZRH Logo
Zaldy Co in Sweden, SC petition says
Zaldy Co in Sweden, SC petition says
Nation
Zaldy Co in Sweden, SC petition says
by Luwela Amor29 January 2026
Photo courtesy: Rep. Zaldy Co/Facebook & SC

Former Ako Bicol Party-list Representative Zaldy Co was in Stockholm, Sweden on January 15, according to documents attached to a petition he filed with the Supreme Court (SC), contradicting previous claims by the government that he had been spotted in Lisbon, Portugal.

The Supreme Court released the petition, in which Co seeks to block the implementation of an Ombudsman resolution pushing for the filing of cases against him.

Attached to the petition is a notarized document certifying that Co personally appeared before a notary public in Stockholm on the said date. This location directly conflicts with earlier statements from government officials placing him in Lisbon.

According to the petition, an "apostille," was attached, showing Co personally appeared before notary public Beatrice Gustafsson of the Stockholm County Administrative Board.

“I certify that I was able to verify the identity of the client, and that the signature was performed by the client of their own free will,” Gustafsson said.

In his petition, Co is requesting the SC to issue a temporary restraining order (TRO) to prevent the Ombudsman from executing the resolution that seeks to file charges against him.

Co also asked the court to nullify the resolution, asserting that Ombudsman Jesus "Boying" Crispin Remulla acted hastily in pursuing the cases.

The petition specifically calls for a TRO to halt the prosecution of three criminal cases filed in the Sandiganbayan: Criminal Case Nos. SB-25-CRM-0039, 0040, and 0041.

“Immediately upon the filing of this Petition, this Honorable Court ISSUE an ex-parte Temporary Restraining Order and/or Writ of Preliminary Injunction restraining and/or enjoining respondent JESUS CRISPIN C. REMULLA, in his capacity as the OMBUDSMAN, and his agents, representatives, successors, assigns, and all those acting on his behalf, from implementing the Resolution dated 14 November 2025 in Case No. OMB-CC-SEP-25-0199, entitled, ‘The Independent Committee on Infrastructure v. Elizaldy “Zaldy” S. Co, et al.,’ including, but not limited to, desisting from prosecuting Criminal Case Nos. SB-25-CRM-0039, 0040, and 0041, Sandiganbayan, 5th, 6th, and 7th Divisions,” the petition reads.

Co also asked the Supreme Court to: “Annul and set aside the Resolution dated 14 November 2025 for being issued with grave abuse of discretion amounting to lack of excess of jurisdiction insofar as it found probable cause for violation of Section 3 (e) and 3 (h) of Republic Act No. 3019 and for Malversation of Public Funds through Falsification of Public Documents against petitioner Elizaldy S. Co.”

He further argued that he was denied due process, claiming that he was not given sufficient opportunity to respond to allegations based on the interim report of the Independent Commission on Infrastructure (ICI).

According to the petition, Co did not flee the country but left on July 19, 2025, on an official medical leave.

He also cited threats to his life following public anger over flood control issues in Oriental Mindoro, which he said prevented him from returning safely.

Meanwhile, Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Jonvic Remulla said Thursday that the Philippine government is coordinating with foreign authorities, including Sweden and the International Criminal Police Organization (Interpol) "red-flag" Co’s passport after reports surfaced of his notarized appearance in Stockholm.

“I am leaving tonight. I'm gonna be making some coordination calls,” Remulla added.

The government is pursuing Co in connection with an arrest warrant issued by the Sandiganbayan for graft and malversation related to alleged anomalies in flood control projects in Oriental Mindoro.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read