DZRH Logo
VP Sara on FPRRD's ‘welfare check’: ‘I see malice in that’
VP Sara on FPRRD's ‘welfare check’: ‘I see malice in that’
Nation
VP Sara on FPRRD's ‘welfare check’: ‘I see malice in that’
by Mika Jenymae Rasing29 September 2025
Vice President Sara Duterte attends the Senate hearing on the proposed 2026 budget of the Office of the Vice President on september 29, 2025. Photo from the OVP/FB.

Vice President Sara Duterte said that she sees malice in the welfare check conducted on former President Rodrigo Duterte, stating that the authorities did not inform them about the matter.

"I see malice in that. Number one, they never did a welfare check. Number two, they did not coordinate with the defense team. They did not inform the defense team or the family members who are at that time in the Hague....makikita mo sa report, nag-a-assess sila sa kalusugan," the Vice President said during a press conference on Monday, September 29.

When asked whether the International Criminal Court (ICC) asked for the former president’s consent, VP Duterte said she opted not to ask the former, stating, “Aayaw ko na siya ma-stress at ma-distress sa mga nangyayari.”

“Ayaw ko na isipin niya na mayroong mali doon sa mga sinabi niya. So, ayaw ko na i-confirm pa sa kanya kung ano ‘yung nangyayari doon. The confirmation of the reports that I got, a copy of, enough na ‘yun para sa akin na sabihin na…hindi maganda ‘yung kanilang motibo sa pagpunta doon,” she added.

The Vice President said the authorities did not ask for their permission nor did they inform Duterte’s relatives about the said visit.

According to her, the welfare check was conducted after the ICC confirmed that the elder Duterte’s confirmation of changes was postponed indefinitely. She also claimed that the personnel submitted a report to the Office of the President, providing an assessment of the former president’s health.

"After the fact, wala silang explanation. I believe nag-explain ang Department of Foreign Affairs, ang DFA. They said that na gumagawa talaga sila ng welfare check sa mga kababayan natin," VP Duterte said.

‘Very alarming’

Meanwhile, she expressed fear over the said incident, saying that the ICC does not have “full control” over the former president’s safety and security. Moreover, Duterte said that her father needs a 24-hour caregiver and bedside care.

“Keeping him in without a trial date, without a date for confirmation of charges, it's just plain cruelty...Pinapahirapan nila yung tao,” she expressed. “Naka-detain siya, para ba siyang kinulong ng hindi siya na-convict. Kaya sinasabi ko doon sa statement na for humanitarian purposes, they should allow the interim release of former President Duterte.”

When asked about the defense’s application for an interim release, the Vice President said that one country has expressed their interest in the matter, stating, "Merong bansa na nagsabi na tatanggapin nila si dating Pangulong Rodrigo Duterte. Hindi ko lang masabi kung saan.”

Last week, the Vice President cried foul over the said “sham welfare checks” conducted by the Philippine Embassy in The Hague, stating, “These are nothing but orders of President Marcos disguised as consular functions, and we strongly object to such visits. FPRRD does not need you, our family will take care of him.”

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read