

Malacañang on Wednesday has accused Vice President Sara Duterte of allegedly using “rage engagement” tactics on social media to provoke public anger against President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.
During an interview on Dos Por Dos, Palace Press Officer Usec. Claire Castro said the strategy—commonly referred to as “rage bait” online—has long been used to stir negative sentiment toward the administration.
Castro explained that even before recent global tensions, certain individuals had already been employing such tactics to criticize the President and amplify public dissatisfaction.
“Noon pa yan ginagawa. Wala pang putukan sa Middle East, may gumagawa na nyan, mataas pa na opisyal para magalit sa pangulo,” Castro said.
She added that repeated claims portraying the President as inactive, unsympathetic, or unhelpful are part of a broader effort to undermine his leadership.
Castro also raised concerns about the role of coordinated online networks, saying that statements made by the Vice President are allegedly echoed by so-called “troll armies,” further intensifying the spread of criticism.
“Ang problema dito, pag salita niya, ‘yong troll armies nya, ganun din ang sinasabi. So, yon ang masama,” she said.
The Palace official also alluded to the possibility of foreign involvement in amplifying these online attacks but declined to identify any specific country.
“At ang problema dito baka may tumutulong pang ibang bansa para maparami itong troll ‘to.”
However, Castro did not mention which country she was referring to.
The Vice President has yet to issue a response to the Palace’s allegations.
