

Former Department of Agriculture Secretary Leony Montemayor criticized importers for allegedly taking advantage of the 20% savings from the rice import tariff reduction.
According to Montemayor, the savings from the tariff cut—intended to benefit consumers—largely went to importers and traders instead.
“Dati, 35% ang binabayarang buwis sa bawat kilo o tonelada ng imported rice. From 35% naging 15%, so yung 20% talaga napunta po sa bulsa, mostly ng mga trader po ’yan at saka mga importer,” Montemayor said in an interview on "Special on Saturday".
He explained that the tariff reduction was meant to lower rice prices for consumers, but instead, it ended up benefiting businesses.
“Naipapasa sana ng mga negosyante yung kanilang nalikom na 20% savings sa konsyumer natin. Hindi po nangyari ’yon. Binulsa lang po nila yung VAT at savings,” he added.
Montemayor argued that if importers had truly passed on their savings, rice prices in the market should have dropped by ₱5 to ₱6 per kilo starting last year.
“E alam nating hindi naman nangyari ’yon—nanatiling mahal pa rin yung bigas,” he said.
He further noted that President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has already ordered the National Food Authority (NFA) to temporarily suspend rice importation.