DZRH Logo
SILG Remulla defends P10-M reward for Atong Ang arrest, calls allegations ‘unfair’
SILG Remulla defends P10-M reward for Atong Ang arrest, calls allegations ‘unfair’
Nation
SILG Remulla defends P10-M reward for Atong Ang arrest, calls allegations ‘unfair’
by Luwela Amor20 January 2026
Photo courtesy: Edniel Parrosa/DZRH File

Interior and Local Government Secretary Jonvic Remulla on Tuesday dismissed as “unfair” claims that the Philippine National Police (PNP) would simply pocket the P10-million reward offered for the arrest of businessman Charlie “Atong” Ang, according to Edniel Parrosa's report on DZRH's Breaktime.

Speaking to the reporters at Camp Crame, Remulla pushed back against remarks made by former Commission on Elections (Comelec) commissioner Rowena Guanzon, who suggested that authorities already know Ang’s whereabouts and that the reward money might just be divided among police officers.

“That's a very unfair statement,” Remulla said.

He further said that he had no reason to delay Ang’s arrest.

Guanzon had questioned why the PNP has yet to locate Ang despite claims that he had long been under surveillance, pointing out that the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) was able to swiftly arrest Ang’s co-accused in the kidnapping with homicide case linked to the disappearance of several sabungeros or cockfighting enthusiasts.

Remulla said he had no intention of turning Ang’s arrest into a spectacle, stressing that the reward money was sourced directly from his office.

"Kung alam ko lang ‘yun, it is to my interest na makuha siya kaagad. Ako naglagay ng bounty yun mula sa funds ng office ko [DILG]. Ba't ko pa gagawa ng drama yan, ‘di ba?" he emphasized.

“Hindi naman ako maarteng tao eh, kukunin at kukunin ko ‘yan as soon as I can,” he added.

The DILG chief reiterated that, so far, there is no firm indication that Ang has already left the country. However, in a shift from earlier statements, Remulla said authorities are not completely ruling out that possibility.

He also explains why the PNP is seeking an Interpol notice to widen the search should Ang be found abroad.

The Interior Secretary also acknowledged that Ang’s wealth and resources pose a challenge for law enforcement, as they could potentially be used to evade authorities.

Nevertheless, Remulla insisted that these cannot match the full resources of the government.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read