

A temporary signal interruption will be implemented in selected areas during the annual Traslacion or Feast of the Black Nazarene as part of heightened security measures for the 2026 procession,” National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) spokesperson Police Major Ma. Hazel Asilo told DZRH News.
According to a report on dzRH's Damdaming Bayan by Jecelle Ricafort, Asilo said the authorities will request assistance from the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) to carry out the signal interruption.
The move is aimed at ensuring stricter security during the religious event, particularly to prevent the possible use of devices that could disrupt or threaten public safety amid the massive gathering of devotees.
Asilo added that the NCRPO is closely coordinating with counterpart agencies to ensure a faster response in case of any sudden threat during the Traslacion procession.
At this point, authorities have not monitored any specific threats, and the situation remains peaceful.
She also reported that more than 1,100 police personnel have been deployed at the Quirino Grandstand for the traditional "pahalik" activities—the ritual of veneration of the image of the Jesus Nazareno—on Thursday, January 8.
As of 7:00 a.m. today, an estimated 5,000 devotees had already gathered at the Quirino Grandstand to participate in the pahalik, according to the Manila Police District (MPD).
Meanwhile, the NCRPO said it is targeting to shorten the duration of the Traslacion this year to around 10 to 12 hours, significantly less than the 20-hour procession recorded in 2025.
In 2024, the Traslacion lasted approximately 15 hours before the image of the Black Nazarene was safely returned to Quiapo Church.
