

A 73-year-old senior citizen waiting in line to buy subsidized rice was killed early morning Wednesday after a speeding pickup truck veered onto a sidewalk and struck a group of people along Visayas Avenue in Quezon City.
According to a report by RH Val Gonzales, the incident occurred at about 3:45 a.m. at a pedestrian lane in front of the Department of Agriculture’s Bureau of Animal Industry, where dozens had gathered hours before opening to avail of rice priced at 20 pesos per kilo.
Authorities said the victim had been lining up with other buyers when a black pickup truck, coming from Elliptical Road, suddenly mounted the sidewalk and barreled into the queue. The victim was rushed to a hospital but later died.
At least one other person, a vendor, was injured, sustaining an elbow injury.
“Habang may bumibili sa akin may bigla akong narinig na sumabog. Pagtingin ko nasa tabi ko na yung sasakyan na kulay black na pick-up. Buti na lang naitulak ko yung kariton ko kaya nakaligtas ako. Gasgas lang inabot ko,” the vendor said.
The same witness said the driver claimed he swerved to avoid a motorcycle but suspected the motorist may have fallen asleep at the wheel.
“Iniwasan daw niya yung motor pero sa tingin ko nakatulog [siya]. Siguro pagod, nakaidlip,” the vendor added.
The witness also recounted that another person was thrown by the impact while others were forced to scatter as the vehicle pushed deeper into the line.
Officials earlier said buyers were encouraged to register online and secure appointments, but many—particularly senior citizens unfamiliar with the system—opted to arrive early and queue. Walk-in buyers are also allowed.
The driver is now in the custody of the Quezon City Police District Traffic Sector 6 as authorities continue their investigation.
