

Bicol-Saro Partylist Rep. Terry Ridon said the Department of Justice (DOJ) needs to explain why former Bulacan First District Engineers Brice Hernandez and Jaypee Mendoza were not included as state witnesses in the investigation of anomalies in flood control projects.
During Isyung Pambayan on Sunday, Ridon questioned why former DPWH Bulacan District Engineer Henry Alcantara was the only one considered a state witness, despite Alcantara having greater accountability.
"Kailangan po nilang ipaliwanag pa with further detail ano 'yung dahilan bakit hindi kasama ito pong dalawang mas mabababang mga opisyal na ito, samantalang si Henry Alcantara ay ginawa na nilang state witness."
Ridon emphasized that clarification is "critical" to determine whether the two excluded officials will still be considered as state witnesses, or if their status remains pending, as it would be unjustifiable if only lower-ranking officials are held accountable.
"'Yun po talagang mga kasabwat ay nakakalaya... Para makikita po natin pagka ginawang state witness si Roberto Bernardo, Henry Alcantara, samantalang hindi pa si Brice Hernandez at Jaypee Mendoza," said Ridon.
The lawmaker cited previous instances where Hernandez and Mendoza first revealed alleged corruption and money-handling irregularities at the DPWH First District Engineering Office, describing them as the "spearheads" in the public outcry over the controversy.
"Hindi pa po katanggap-tanggap sa akin at probably hindi pa katanggap-tanggap sa publiko yung kanilang sinasabing paliwanag bakit hindi pa rin state witnesses sina Brice Hernandez at Jaypee Mendoza," said Ridon.
"Very fundamental 'yung kanilang papel dito sa entire scheme and very clear na hindi rin po sila yun pong most guilty," he added.
Previously, the DOJ said Alcantara and former DPWH Undersecretary Roberto Bernardo were considered “protected witnesses” and were under “provisional acceptance” in the Witness Protection Program.
Hernandez and Mendoza were also included in provisional acceptance, but the DOJ said it currently “sees no need” to admit them to the program.
Aside from Bernardo and Alcantara, other state witnesses include Gerard Opulencia and contractor Sally Santos. DOJ Secretary Frederick Vida said the four would be immune from criminal liability.
Vida added that a total of ₱316,381,500 had been returned by the four state witnesses, out of a total obligation of ₱1.5 billion.
Both Hernandez and Mendoza are listed as respondents in malversation, graft, and falsification of documents charges related to the Bulacan flood control projects.
