DZRH Logo
Rice remains stable, corn at risk after Typhoon Tino — DA
Rice remains stable, corn at risk after Typhoon Tino — DA
Nation
Rice remains stable, corn at risk after Typhoon Tino — DA
by Luwela Amor06 November 2025
Photo courtesy: Luwela Amor/Facebook

The Department of Agriculture (DA) on Thursday assured the public that the country’s rice supply remains stable despite the devastation brought by Typhoon Tino in the Visayas and Mindanao, even as corn farms suffered significant losses.

In an interview with DZRH’s Dos Por Dos, Agriculture spokesperson Assistant Secretary Arnel De Mesa said their rapid assessment showed that corn farms bore the brunt of the typhoon’s impact.

“Bagamat kakalabas lang [ng] Bagyong Tino ngayon ay nangangalap tayo sa rapid assessment natin ng dami. Alam natin matindi ang naging pinsala lalo na sa maisan natin,” De Mesa said.

He added that while rice areas were also affected, most of the crops had already been harvested and continues to rapid monitoring.

“Corn areas natin ‘yung tinamaan. Hindi naman ganun kalakihan kasi sila yung nagtatanim din ng halos ng [ano]. Again, sa rice hindi naman [masyado naapektuhan] kasi almost 85%, 90% na halos,” he explained.

With another storm— potential super typhoon Uwan—approaching, De Mesa said some parts of Central and Northern Luzon still have crops to be harvested.

“Sa Luzon, dito sa Central Northern Luzon mayrooon pang mga areas na maghaharvest. Again, hindi naman ganoon karamihan pero of course makakaapekto pa rin," De Mesa said.

"Yung ating ineexpect na harvest sana ‘record harvest’ tayo ngayong taon. Ang forecast range natin between 20.2 hanggang 20.5 million metric tons. So medyo mahihirapan na tayo doon sa upper range dahil nga sa mga sunod-sunod na bagyo ngayon,” he added.

De Mesa still expressed confidence about reaching this year’s production target.

“Mataas pa rin ‘yun kasi yung record harvest natin 2023 nasa mga 20.06,” he said.

According to him, the first half of 2024 yielded about 9.08 million metric tons, while the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) recorded 3.8 million for the third quarter.

“Kaya natin [ma-beast] kasi ‘yung harvest natin noong unang semester 9.08 tapos yung nilabas na datos ng PSA na 3rd quarter na 3.8. Yung pinakamalaki talaga na harvest natin ay nasa 4th quarter nasa mga between 7 to 8 mmt. So posible na makuha natin ‘yung 20.”

Rice Prices and Import Suspension

De Mesa also discussed the recent Executive Order No. 93 signed by President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., which temporarily suspends rice importation for 60 days starting September 1, coinciding with the local peak harvest season. The exetntion was extended until the end year.

The suspension covers regular and well-milled rice, but not specialty varieties.

Asked about the impact of this import suspension, De Mesa said farmgate prices for palay are expected to continue rising.

“Una, doon sa presyo ng palay, inaasahan natin na patuloy na tataas ang presyo ng farm gate ng palay. Kasi ngayon nakakakita na tayo ng P14, P17 sa ibang lugar, ngayon may P20.”

He added that retail prices remain steady. “Sa bigas naman nananatiling matatag yung ating regular tsaka well-milled nasa 38 at 40. ‘Yung premium natin nasa 50. ‘Yung imported rice inaasahan natin mauubos ‘yan mid-November.”

“Pagkakataon na rin siguro talaga na yung mga kababayan natin na kumunsumo talaga nitong ating locally produced rice,” he said, noting that the country expects a year-end inventory of over 3 million metric tons.

Tariff adjustment

When asked about the Department of Agriculture’s recommendation once rice importation resumes, De Mesa referred to a recent ruling by the Economic Development Authority (EDA) Board—now the EDC—which adopted a tariff regime allowing gradual adjustments.

“Parang nagkaroon ng ruling na ang EDA board na EDC na ngayon ay magkakaroon ng gradual increase, 5% kung mayroong 5% change sa presyo sa international market. Parang ‘yun ang inadopt na tariff regime pero minimum dapat 15, maximum 25%.”

Despite the challenges from successive storms, De Mesa said the DA remains confident the Philippines will still post strong rice production in 2025, ensuring sufficient supply as import ban extends to year-end.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read