

Despite his recent arrest, retired military major general Romeo Poquiz has become even more determined to continue his advocacy, according to his lawyer, retired general Virgilio Garcia.
In an interview with DZRH's Damdaming Bayan, Garcia said Poquiz’s resolve to pursue what he described as a fight for truth and accountability has only strengthened following his arrest.
“Mas lalong lumakas ang kanyang resolve na ipagpatuloy ang laban at it is very encouraging sa kanyang mga kasamahan na talagang ituloy ang laban dahil ang nakikita namin ‘yung mga lumalaban para sa katotohanan, para sa pananagutan ‘yun lang ang kanilang sinusupil hindi 'yung malalaking isda na dapat papanagutin,” Garcia said.
Garcia said Poquiz’s supporters view the arrest as an attempt to silence those seeking accountability, rather than a genuine effort to go after those allegedly responsible for larger issues.
According to the lawyer, Poquiz remains firm in his stance and is undeterred by the legal challenges he now faces, insisting that the former general will continue to assert his position through legal means.
Garcia said the legal team is preparing several actions focused on accountability, stressing that all steps will be taken within legal bounds.
“Basta ang sa amin, we will do everything we can legally at iba pang pamamaraan para lamang mailahad natin ang katotohanan dahil nililihis nila, tulad noong inaresto si ex-Gen. Poquiz," he said.
He disputed police claims that Poquiz’s lawyers arrived late at the airport during the arrest. According to Garcia, the legal team had been waiting at the airport for a long time and was already there before police arrived.
“Permanent absolute disqualification of all the public office...Gagamitin po namin ang batas na iyon sa lahat ng mga pulis na nagvaviolate ng karapatan ng tao not because we don’t like the police but because we want them to learn, we want the people to know of the rights para wala ng violation ng karapatan ng tao, wala na pong basta nakikidnap at ililipad kung saan because we will run after them, I’m telling all of you you can say goodbye to your retirement benefits” he said.
Garcia also claimed that Poquiz was allegedly taken through a back route at the airport to avoid his lawyers, prompting them to search nearby roads. He said they later found out that Poquiz was brought to Camp Crame. He added that authorities were initially reluctant to bring Poquiz to court.
While Garcia acknowledged Acting Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PltGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez’s statement that proper legal procedures were followed, he questioned whether the process was done correctly.
Poquiz, head of the United People’s Initiative, was arrested by the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) on January 5 upon his arrival from Bangkok, Thailand, at Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3. He was served an arrest warrant in connection with charges of "inciting to sedition and rebellion" filed before the Quezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 77.
Garcia said the arrest has instead galvanized Poquiz’s supporters, who see it as further motivation to pursue what they describe as a campaign for truth, accountability, and reform.
The legal counsel said their camp is preparing a series of steps aimed at strengthening accountability efforts, adding that they have planned initiatives which he described as positive and constructive.
“Mayroon kaming pinaghahandaan. Maganda iyong aming gustong gawin para sa aspeto ng pananagutan. Mayroong mga mass action pero hindi naka-concentrate doon ang aming effort," Garcia noted.
