

Seeking to set the record straight, Batangas 1st District Representative Leandro Leviste on Friday explained his recent business transactions and filed a civil libel case against Presidential Communications Office Undersecretary Claire Castro, seeking ₱110 million in damages and attorney’s fees.
Leviste said the case is civil, not criminal, emphasizing that he does not intend to personally harm Castro.
“Nais ko lang pong depensahan ang pangalan ko dahil sa kanyang pagpapakalat ng fake news tungkol sa akin,” he said.
He added that while his lawyer, Atty. Ferdinand Topacio advised that cyber libel or criminal charges could also be considered; they opted for civil damages to avoid jail time for Castro.
During the press conference, Leviste largely focused on allegations related to his business, particularly a company he founded that had a legislative franchise.
According to the lawmaker, Castro, in a series of vlog episodes, had claimed that he profited from selling a company holding the franchise and questioned his delivery on various contracts.
Leviste clarified that the company he sold was a different entity whose main asset is land in Nueva Ecija, and not the company holding the franchise.
“Hindi ko po binenta ang kumpanya na may prangkisa. Ang kumpanyang binenta ko ay ibang kumpanya na ang main asset nito ay lupa sa Nueva Ecija,” said Leviste.
He further explained that the franchise in question, approved in 2019, could no longer operate after 2022 because the Department of Energy (DOE) had not issued the necessary implementing rules and regulations.
“Tumigil po ang operation ng kumpanya sa 2022 dahil hindi pa nabigyan siya ng mga permits to operate. Kaya, within two years of that, maaari natin sabihin na ipso facto revoked na ang prangkisa ng kumpanyang ito.”
Under the law, the franchise is automatically revoked if operations do not begin within two years. Additionally, Leviste noted that a general law passed in 2022 repealed or amended legislative franchises in the sector, rendering the franchise previously granted to his company effectively obsolete.
“Ang Kongreso ay nag-apruba din ng isang general law noong 2022 din na may repealing and amendatory clause na nakasaad na ang mga legislative franchise na may kaugnayan sa batas na yun ay thereby repealed or amended.”
Leviste also addressed Castro’s repeated focus on him through her vlogs, which he said included approximately 15 episodes discussing various issues, including the Cabral Files and DOE contracts.
He argued that these videos misrepresented his involvement and distracted from broader governance issues, particularly corruption concerns in the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).
“At hindi po ako ang nadidiscredit nila. Dinidiscredit nila ang sarili nila, pinag-aaralan ko po ang aking mga hakbang.”
Leviste highlighted that his companies, including the one he sold, continue to operate successfully and contribute to the economy. He credited one of his projects for attracting the largest foreign investment in the country in 2025, employing over 10,000 people in Nueva Ecija, and receiving recognition from the administration.
The lawmaker reiterated that the legal action targets only Castro and that he intends to correct misinformation, not to challenge the administration or other officials.
Palace Press Officer Undersecretary Claire Castro responded on Friday, saying the civil libel case is intended to silence her and prevent her from discussing key issues.
“Ang pagsasampa ng kasong ito ang tunay na paraan para ako ay matigil sa aking pagsasalita at pagtalakay sa mga issue,” Castro told reporters in a Viber message.
