

The Quezon City Police District (QCPD) deployed nearly 2,000 police personnel on Sunday, November 16, to the EDSA People Power Monument in Quezon City in anticipation of protest actions of United People’s Initiative (UPI).
In an interview on dzRH, QCPD Director PCol. Randy Glenn Silvio said around 1,700 police officers had already been stationed in the area early Sunday morning, with additional support from several government agencies.
He said they were also receiving augmentation from the Quezon City local government and various support agencies—including Department of Public Order and Safety (DPOS), Transport and Traffic Management Department (TTMD), Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA), Bureau of Jail Management and Penology and Bureau of Fire Protection (BJMP)—to help maintain order once the program of the group that secured the rally permit begins.
Asilio added that UPI organizers, had also assigned their own marshals to guide participants and manage movement within designated rally zones.
Traffic along White Plains Avenue will remain open until the crowd grows, at which point authorities will begin closing affected road sections.
Police said their personnel will be on continuous duty throughout the three-day rally, with shifting schedules to maintain order and security.
The QC LGU granted the rally permit from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Organizers assured police that the program would end within the approved timeframe, although an extension may be allowed depending on LGU discretion.
QCPD emphasized that coordination among rally organizers, law enforcement, and the local government has historically ensured peaceful activities at the People Power Monument.
Authorities also highlighted the existing memorandum of understanding signed by the MMDA, QCPD Gen. Elmo San Diego, and the rally organizers to outline roles and responsibilities during the event.
Asilio reiterated the national directive for “maximum tolerance,” as instructed by the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) and Philippine National Police (PNP) Acting Chief Jose Melencio Nartatez.
“Sa ngayon, wala naman [namo-monitor na gulo]. Ang intelligence community, continuous naman ang pagbabantay,” he said.
As of Sunday morning, no marches or additional activities had begun in the People Powe Monument, but police remain on standby as participants continue to arrive.
