DZRH Logo
PNP to enforce liquor, gun bans in Manila for Nazareno 2026
PNP to enforce liquor, gun bans in Manila for Nazareno 2026
Nation
PNP to enforce liquor, gun bans in Manila for Nazareno 2026
by Luwela Amor06 January 2026
Photo from the Manila Public Information Office/FB.

The Philippine National Police (PNP) announced that it will strictly enforce a liquor ban and gun ban during the Traslacion and the entire celebration of the Feast of the Black Nazarene in Manila.

Acting PNP Chief Police General Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. ordered the tight implementation of security measures, including the liquor ban and gun ban, as part of efforts to ensure public safety during one of the country’s largest religious events.

The directive follows the recommendation of the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) to suspend permits to carry firearms outside of residence (PTCFOR) across Metro Manila from January 8 to 10, in line with the Feast of Jesus Nazareno.

Nartatez also said that the use of firecrackers and other pyrotechnic devices will be prohibited in Manila, noting that some devotees traditionally use them during the festivities.

The PNP, according to Nartatez, continues to closely coordinate with the Manila City government, acknowledging that the security environment becomes more complex during the Traslacion, which is expected to draw millions of Catholic devotees.

“This event gathers millions of devotees, and with it comes a complex security environment that requires careful planning and full coordination. Let me be clear: there will be no letup in our security preparations. We will remain proactive, alert, and ready to protect lives, respect faith, and ensure the orderly conduct of this significant occasion,” Nartatez said.

The PNP aims to match or surpass last year’s record 15-hour procession, which took place in 2024 when Nartatez was still the NCRPO director.

Among the strategies being implemented this year is the deployment of around 8,000 “hijos police” — police personnel who are also devotees of the Black Nazarene — who will be positioned around the carriage (andas) of the image. They will form part of more than 18,000 PNP personnel and augmentation forces tasked to secure the celebration starting Tuesday, January 6.

The PNP urged the public and devotees to cooperate with authorities and comply with the imposed bans to help ensure a safe, peaceful, and orderly feast of the Black Nazarene.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read