

The Philippine National Police (PNP) has withdrawn the security detail assigned to former Ako Bicol Party-list Rep. Elizaldy Co, the agency announced on Monday.
PNP Public Information Chief PBGen. Randulf Tuaño explained this was simply standard operating procedure (SOP) for police security granted to an individual going abroad, reported RH 52 Edniel Parrosa.
“Tinanggal nila ‘yung kanilang mga police security protection officers sapagkat ang SOP po dito kapag ang kanilang VIP (person to be safeguarded) ay nasa abroad niri-recall ang kanilang security detail,” Tuaño told reporters in a press briefing at Camp Crame.
Five personnel from the Police Security and Protection Group (PSPG) were previously assigned to the former House Appropriations Committee chair.
However, Tuaño clarified that the agency will be conducting a threat assessment on the resigned lawmaker.
“Aalamin natin specific details sapagkat ang PSP is base sa threat,” he said.
Tuaño emphasized that the PNP knows nothing of Co’s whereabouts. The Philippines has earlier requested the issuance of a Blue Notice from the Interpol for the former congressman.
Co resigned from his post in the House of Representatives on Monday due to a “real, direct, grave and imminent threat” to his life and his family’s and the denial of his right to due process, he said in his resignation letter.
