

The Philippine National Police (PNP) is investigating the Aug. 15 ambush on the convoy of Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua, saying it is not ruling out a possible connection to the upcoming BARMM parliamentary elections.
The ambush occurred at around 5:10 p.m. along the General Santos-Cotabato National Highway in Maguindanao del Norte, involving Macacua’s convoy.
No injuries were reported. Suspect remains unidentified while the PNP has withheld further details to avoid compromising the ongoing investigation.
PNP spokesperson Allen Rae Co said the incident is being considered a suspected election-related incident because it involved a candidate or public official in the area during the election period, which runs from July 16 to Sept. 29.
“As of now this is considered a suspected election related incident since it involves a candidate or a public official in the said area. And it happened during election period,” Co said.
The PNP said the incident will not affect preparations for the BARMM parliamentary elections scheduled for Sept. 14.
More than 9,400 police personnel have already been deployed for security preparations during the election period. The PNP is coordinating with the Armed Forces of the Philippines, Commission on Elections and local governments to strengthen security in BARMM.
No adjustments have been made to the police deployment so far, but Co said personnel and security measures would be adjusted if necessary.
Meanwhile, Malacañang assured that the BARMM elections will push through despite several incidents of violence in the region.
