

The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Monday said it expects a decline in road crash and drowning incidents during the Holy Week, citing reduced travel as fuel prices continue to rise.
PNP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Randulf T. Tuaño said authorities have already observed fewer motorists on major roads, which could lead to a corresponding drop in accidents and vacation-related incidents typically monitored during the Lenten break.
Police data showed that fatalities due to reckless imprudence increased last year, reaching 919 cases from over 800 recorded in 2024. Meanwhile, the PNP Maritime Group logged 151 drowning incidents in 2025, significantly higher than the 90 cases reported the previous year.
However, for 2026, regional police units have noted a decrease in outbound travel from Metro Manila, which officials attribute to the rising cost of petroleum products.
The PNP is still awaiting official figures from transport agencies to confirm whether fewer vacationers are using private vehicles and opting for public transportation instead as the long Holy Week break begins.
“Tunay po na kumonte o mas less yung mga bumabiyahe na mga sasakyan sa lansangan sa kanilang areas of responsibility. Inaasahan natin na sa pagbaba ng mga gumagamit ng kalsada ay mas magiging less po ang ating mga datos,” Tuaño said.
Authorities continue to remind the public to observe safety precautions, especially during peak travel days and visits to beaches and other tourist destinations, to prevent accidents and fatalities.
