

The Philippine National Police (PNP) has confiscated a total of 144,866 illegal firecrackers and pyrotechnic devices in the three days leading up to New Year’s Eve.
According to the PNP Command Center, operations from December 16 to December 29 yielded the most commonly seized items, including pla-pla, Five Star, piccolo, and pop-pop firecrackers.
The confiscated items are estimated to be worth more than PHP 2 million, recovered from markets, streetside vendors, and checkpoints.
Police officials reported monitoring 835 incidents related to fireworks and pyrotechnics during this period, resulting in the arrest of at least 28 individuals, said Police Colonel Joshua Alejandro, Assistant Chief of the Command Center at Camp Crame.
The Department of Health (DOH) previously reported that over 100 people had already been injured by fireworks even before New Year’s Eve.
One of the most recent casualties was a 12-year-old boy who died after picking up a fountain firework in Tondo, Manila.
“Napulot daw nila ito habang sila’y naglalakad sa kalsada, sa may area ng Lorenzo street,” said Major Philip Ines of the Manila Police District.
In an interview with DZRH, the MPD urged the public to immediately report any illegal fireworks or pyrotechnics, particularly in unsafe areas, by calling 911.
“It’s a matter of shared responsibility, hindi po natin lahat makikita, sa dami po ng tao dito sa lungsod ng Maynila. Ang kailangan lang po natin ay tulungan din tayo ng ating mga kababayan,” Major Ines emphasized.
