DZRH Logo
Palace after Guteza recantation vs. Romualdez: ‘Kailangan ng investigating bodies ang totoong salaysay’
Palace after Guteza recantation vs. Romualdez: ‘Kailangan ng investigating bodies ang totoong salaysay’
Nation
Palace after Guteza recantation vs. Romualdez: ‘Kailangan ng investigating bodies ang totoong salaysay’
by Mary Antalan20 August 2026
Courtesy: RTVM

Malacañang on Thursday stressed that investigating bodies need truthful and reliable statements as they continue probing alleged anomalous flood control projects, following the reported recantation of Orly Guteza, a former soldier and security aide of former lawmaker Zaldy Co.

“Ang nais naman po ng Pangulo ay laging ayon sa batas, hindi gawa-gawang ebidensya,” Palace Press Officer Usec. Claire Castro said.

Castro said fabricated stories could undermine ongoing investigations and make it more difficult to hold accountable those who may be involved in the alleged irregularities.

“Kung totoong mapapatunayan na siya ang gumawa lang ng mga kuwento, hindi naman din ito makakabuti sa pagpupursue sa mga tao na dapat managot,” she said.

Advertisement

“Ang kailangan po ng pamahalaan, kailangan ng Ombudsman, kailangan ng DOJ na ma-investigate ng mga investigating bodies natin ay totoong salaysay. Kung sila naman po ay magsasabi ng kuwento o salaysay na walang katotohanan, mas makasisira ito sa paghabol sa mga tao na dapat managot at mas hindi ito magiging epektibo,” Castro added.

The Palace made the statement after Guteza recanted his earlier testimony that he delivered suitcases containing cash to former House Speaker Ferdinand Martin Romualdez.

In a new affidavit, Guteza claimed that Sen. Rodante Marcoleta and former House lawmaker Mike Defensor had allegedly instructed him to fabricate accusations against Romualdez in exchange for money and scholarships for his children.

Guteza also claimed that he was instructed to go to a Japanese restaurant near the Senate, where a prepared affidavit was allegedly waiting for him. He said the draft was supposedly prepared by Defensor’s son-in-law, whom he identified only as “Mark.”

Advertisement

Meanwhile, the Office of the Ombudsman on Thursday dismissed the reported witness recantations as a possible “pressure tactic.”

The anti-graft body said it has 28 witnesses who can provide direct and material information on the transactions being investigated in cases involving Romualdez.

“Hindi bago ang recantation sa mga high-profile case. Classic pressure tactic ito,” the Ombudsman said in a statement.

The Ombudsman maintained that its investigation would continue despite the reported recantations.

Advertisement

“Hindi hihinto ang paghahanap sa katotohanan kahit ayaw pang magsalita ninuman,” it said.

“Hindi umiikot ang buong imbestigasyon sa iisa o kahit sa iilang witnesses,” the agency added.

Aside from Guteza, four other former security aides of Co have also recanted their earlier statements implicating Romualdez and other personalities in the alleged flood control scam.

The Palace, meanwhile, said the investigations are still ongoing.

“Tuloy-tuloy pa rin po. At ang Office of the Ombudsman ang sabi po niya, pati naman po ang DOJ ay tuloy-tuloy pa rin sa pag-iimbestiga,” Castro said.

Advertisement

She added that documents and other evidence gathered by the Senate had already been turned over to the Ombudsman.

The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) may also report and recommend further investigation into other alleged ghost or substandard flood control projects that may be uncovered, Castro said.

“Kung meron pa silang makikita pang ibang mga masasabing ghost projects o mga substandard na proyekto, o substandard na proyektong hindi nakabuti para sa pagkontrol ng baha, ipagbibigay din alam ito at maaari din pa-investigahan ito para tuloy-tuloy ang pagpapanagot sa mga dapat na managot,” she said.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read