

Caddies at the historic Intramuros Golf Club are appealing to Manila Mayor Isko Moreno to hold a dialogue with them regarding the city government’s plan to close the golf course and convert it into a forest park.
In an interview with Isyung Pambayan, Madelene Insegne, who has been working as a caddie at the Intramuros Golf Course for 28 years, became emotional as she called on city officials to directly consult them and explain the proposal. She said many of them fear losing their livelihood—especially with Christmas fast approaching.
According to Insegne, Mayor Moreno had already held an initial meeting with some officials of the golf club, including TIEZA General Manager Mark Lapid and Golf Club General Manager Mylene Magsino.
However, she said the caddies were not informed about what was discussed, including a supposed dry run of the golf course’s closure that was scheduled for Sunday but did not push through.
Insegne added that the closure would affect the jobs of more than 200 caddies and around 60 maintenance workers, apart from other employees of the club.
“Nananawagan po kaming mga caddie at empleyado kay President BongBong Marcos at kay Mayor Isko na huwag n’yo na po gawing forest park itong golf course. Maawa na po kayo sa amin. Sa pamilya namin nandito lang ang inaasahan na kinabubuhay, marami na po ang mga senior dito na caddie at pati mga working student,” Insegne said.
“Masakit sa amin na ito ay mawala dahil dekada na po ito at buong buhay namin ito na po ang mundo namin sa araw-araw… Ang golf course na ito ay hindi lang sa mayayaman dahil marami rin kaming mahihirap na umaasa dito at nakasasalay ang kinabukasan ng anak at apo namin,” she added.
The Intramuros Golf Course, located within the historic walls of Intramuros, spans 60 hectares and features 18 holes with a par-66 layout.
Originally built during the Spanish era and fully developed in 1906, it is considered one of the oldest golf courses in the Philippines, now standing for 119 years.
The caddies are hoping that Mayor Moreno and the city government will listen to their concerns and consider their situation before pushing through with the forest park project.
