

The Philippine National Police (PNP) has confirmed that the Office of the Ombudsman has begun coordinating with authorities regarding the digital forensic examination of computer files belonging to former Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Undersecretary Ma. Catalina Cabral.
In an interview on DZRH, PNP spokesperson Police Brigadier General Randulf Tuaño said the Ombudsman has specifically reached out to the PNP-Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG) to seek assistance in the forensic analysis of the files.
The coordination followed the Ombudsman’s announcement that it had already received the central processing unit (CPU) of the late official, which was turned over by the DPWH.
However, Tuaño clarified that the PNP does not yet have custody of any of Cabral’s sensitive files or electronic gadgets. He noted that Cabral’s cellphone, among other devices, remains in the possession of her family.
According to Tuaño, it will be the Office of the Ombudsman that will initiate the subpoena process for the communication devices left behind by Cabral. The former DPWH official was found dead in Tuba, Benguet, on December 18.
Despite concerns over the possible manipulation of digital evidence, Tuaño assured the public that the PNP Anti-Cybercrime Group and the police forensic units have the technical capability and expertise to properly examine and secure Cabral’s computer files.
"'Yung ACG natin kahit noong mga nakaraan pa sa panahon pa ni General Gernian, marami na tayong...mga coordination na ginagawa sa kanila, kasama na dyan yung mga halimbawa, yung mga fake news, etc. Nakikita naman po nila, mga insider investigators po natin, kung ang mga files halimbawa ay deleted at kaya na po nila i-recover yung mga ito," he said.
"Halimbawa mabanggit ko ulit yung mga fake news, yung mga ini-slice ng mga video para makuha nila yung desired result ng gusto nilang palabas, nakikita natin sa aming ACG, slice po yan dahil ito dahil sa ating mga forensic investigators po natin," Tuaño added.
