DZRH Logo
Nothing stops Senate from summoning Co following resignation — Dy
Nothing stops Senate from summoning Co following resignation — Dy
Nation
Nothing stops Senate from summoning Co following resignation — Dy
by Luwela Amor30 September 2025
Photo courtesy: House of the Representatives/Facebook

The Senate is now free to decide whether to summon resigned Ako Bicol Party-list Rep. Elizaldy "Zaldy" Co to its hearings, particularly the Blue Ribbon Committee in connection with the probe in budget insertions and flood control scam, according to House Speaker Faustino "Bojie" Dy III on Monday.

In an interview on DZRH's Dos Por Dos, Dy explained that Co’s resignation has effectively lifted the principle of inter-parliamentary courtesy, which previously restricted the Senate from compelling members of the House of Representatives to attend its inquiries.

"Mayroon na kaming arrangement doon sa ating chairman ng ethics, halimbawa man hindi siya makakarating kung ano ang mga hakbang na dapat ng gawin ng Kongreso. Iyon ang isang hakbang ang nakita namin na i-suspend sana si Cong. Zaldy Co," Dy said.

"Pero sa isang banda, nagbitaw na siya bilang congressman ‘yung tinatawag natin na interparliament courtesy na aanyayahan siya sa Senado ay bukas na bukas na and plus magiging maluwag din ang Department of Justice, si [DOJ] Sec. Boying [Remulla] na habulin nang husto si Zaldy Co," he added.

Dy emphasized that since Co is no longer a member of the House, he must face the allegations lodged against him without the shield of parliamentary courtesy.

He added that the House will cooperate fully with investigative bodies.

"Kami naman full cooperation to make sure na talagang dapat managot si Cong. Zaldy Co. By all means dapat makauwi siya rito at sagutin niya ‘yung mga paratan na ibinabato sa kanya," Dy said.

Co tendered his resignation on Monday, September 29, the same date that marked the expiration of the 10-day deadline set by Speaker Dy for him to return to the country and address the controversies surrounding him.

Among the allegations are supposed budget insertions in the proposed 2025 General Appropriations Act (GAA), as well as the controversial flood control scandal, in which a government contractor and several officials have identified him as the alleged 'mastermind' behind a kickback scheme in public infrastructure projects.

In his resignation letter, however, Co did not clarify whether he had already returned to the Philippines.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read