

As of Friday, the Philippine National Police do not have verified information as to whether former Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) Chief Gerald Bantag, a high-profile fugitive, is in the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR).
In an interview in Camp Dangwa in Benguet, the head of the Police Regional Office - CAR (PRO-CAR), PBGen. Ericson Dilag, said the police have agents on ground and informants in places where the former BuCor director general may be hiding, reported RH 52 Edniel Parrosa.
“Marami tayong informants doon sa posibleng pupuntahan niya sana… And so far wala namang feedback or reports. Kasi nga kung mayroon sana ‘di napick-up ng mga agents at the ground,” Dilag said.
However, since an arrest warrant was issued against Bantag, the Cordillera Police have yet to receive information as announced by Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Jonvic Remulla.
In a separate interview in Camp Crame, Remulla said the search for Bantag has proven difficult, as the Cordillera tribes are said to be protecting him.
The PRO-CAR have tried using drones but have been unsuccessful in locating Bantag. Dilag appealed to the Cordillera locals to help them find leads to his whereabouts.
Bantag has been indicted and is wanted on murder charges in connection with the killing of broadcaster Percy Lapid in 2022.
