DZRH Logo
Nine Filipino seafarers back home in PH after Houthi captivity
Nine Filipino seafarers back home in PH after Houthi captivity
Nation
Nine Filipino seafarers back home in PH after Houthi captivity
by Thea Divina05 December 2025
Photo screen grabbed from DMW/Facebook

Nine Filipino seafarers, who survived captivity by Yemen’s Houthi rebels alongside a deceased colleague, have safely returned to the Philippines on Thursday ahead of Christmas.

The seafarers were brought home from Muscat, Oman, after being transferred from Sana’a, Yemen. The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said its release was the result of coordinated efforts between Oman and the Philippine government.

DFA Secretary Ma. Theresa Lazaro personally raised the matter with her Omani counterpart, Foreign Minister Sayed Badr bin Hamad El-Busaidi, in July and again in November.

Upon arrival, the seafarers received financial assistance, medical care, and counseling, Cacdac said.

The group survived the sinking of MV Eternity C in the Red Sea on July 7, following repeated attacks by Houthi militants using sea drones and rocket-propelled grenades. Unfortunately, four crew members perished. Of the deceased, only one’s remains, transferred from Sana’a, were recovered, while the first batch of survivors returned earlier in July.

Addressing concerns over repeated Red Sea incidents, Cacdac said, “We have suspended the necessary entities due to a lack of reporting on the Red Sea passage. Hopefully, this will serve as a deterrent. We have the necessary policies in place, and authorities hope such incidents will no longer occur.”

He added that both the manning agency and ship owner have been penalized, while the Filipino captain is undergoing a disciplinary investigation.

Details on the casualties will be disclosed only after ongoing investigations, including a flag state inquiry, are completed, Cacdac emphasized.

Share
Related Topics
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read