DZRH Logo
NBI looks into ex-Marines’ exposé
NBI looks into ex-Marines’ exposé
Nation
NBI looks into ex-Marines’ exposé
by Jim Fernandez27 February 2026
NBI Dir. Melvin Matibag. Photo from a video taken by RH 15 Jecelle Ricafort

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Friday said it was looking into the identities and backgrounds of the 18 self-identified former marines who allegedly served as bagmen and security aides for resigned Congressman Elizaldy Co.

According to newly-appointed NBI Director Atty. Melvin Matibag, the agency is also investigating the veracity of their exposé. While it has initial findings, Matibag declined to provide more details due to the sensitivity of the issue, reported RH 15 Jecelle Ricafort.

Matibag questioned Atty. Levi Baligod, the private lawyer who had presented the former Marines to the public in a press conference, on his statement about the Ombudsman being the only entity with jurisdiction over the case.

Matibag said he was surprised by Baligod’s order of proceedings, as he had already initiated a press conference.

“What is surprising… the experience is, mag-file ka muna ng kaso o demanda kung saang ahensya puwede, then you do the press conference. But this is the reverse. Nag-press conference ka muna, tapos, kinabukasan, pumunta ka ng Ombudsman, and you’re conditioning the mind of the viewers that sinasabi mo, ang puwede lang mag-imbestiga nito, Ombudsman,” he said.

“Well, we’ll respect that, but just the same we will exercise our mandate. And we’re doing it. We have initial findings that, uunahan ko na, ‘di ko pa puwedeng ilabas sa inyo because of the sensitivity (of the issue). Sana voluntarily, dalhin dito ni Atty. Baligod so that we can interview everyone. Kasi dapat, ang proseso natin, may nagreklamo, may iniimbestigahan tayo, ‘yung nirereklamo mo, tatawagin din natin para imbestigahan natin, hindi po ba?” he added.

The NBI chief appealed to the lawyer to voluntarily submit to his agency the former Marines’ affidavit. The agency may issue a subpoena against the former soldiers.

During the press conference, it was alleged that the former Marines had served as bagmen for Co and delivered suitcases of cash to President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s and former House Speaker Martin Romualdez’s residences.

They had also supposedly delivered large amounts of money to numerous lawmakers who were part of the Quad Committee, which probed Philippine Offshore Gaming Operations (POGO), extra-judicial killings, and the alleged misuse of confidential funds linked to Vice President Sara Duterte.

According to the Philippine Navy, four of the 18 supposed former marines were never members of the Philippine Marine Corps, and many of the others had been dishonorably discharged.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read