

Crime incidents across Metro Manila declined by 24 percent at the start of 2026, according to the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO), reflecting a significant improvement in public safety compared to the same period last year.
From January 1 to 20, police recorded a 67 percent decrease in rape cases, an 89 percent drop in motor vehicle carnapping, and a 60 percent reduction in motorcycle carnapping. Authorities said these figures point to a sharp decline in both violent and property-related crimes in the region.
Other major offenses also showed reductions, with murder cases down by 32 percent, physical injuries by 10 percent, and theft incidents by 4 percent. The NCRPO noted that overall crime trends this early in the year are considerably lower than those logged during the same timeframe in 2025.
Police officials attributed the decline to intensified patrols, increased police visibility, and sustained law enforcement operations across Metro Manila, particularly in identified crime-prone areas. Coordination with local government units and community-based reporting were also cited as contributing factors.
Anti-illegal drug efforts remained aggressive, with more than 518 anti-drug operations conducted in the first 20 days of 2026. These operations resulted in the arrest of nearly 700 individuals and the seizure of an estimated P94 million worth of illegal drugs.
In addition, authorities arrested 115 suspects for illegal possession of firearms and nearly 1,000 individuals linked to illegal gambling activities. The NCRPO said these enforcement actions form part of its broader campaign to further reduce crime and maintain peace and order in the metropolis.
