

The Marikina local government unit (LGU) has rescheduled the disbursement of financial assistance to public utility jeepney (PUJ) drivers, leaving many expecting cash aid on Wednesday empty-handed as the LGU revises its beneficiary list.
In a report by RH 52 Edniel Parrosa, Mayor Maan Teodoro explained that the payout had been put on hold as the Marikina government did not want to release monetary aid, while its list of recipients is still incomplete.
Based on information gathered, over 600 PUJ drivers were supposed to receive a payout of ₱5,000 each on Wednesday. However, many drivers complained that they were not included in the master list of beneficiaries the day before.
Unaware that the distribution of monetary aid had been postponed, jeepney drivers were found waiting at the Marikina Convention Center, reported Parrosa.
They said they had been in line since the early morning hours and estimated that there had been double their number earlier, but that the others had chosen to return home.
Having spent the entire morning waiting in vain, the drivers said they could no longer resume operations for the day after losing what could have been a full day’s income.
