

President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. confirmed on Wednesday that former Ako Bicol Party-list Representative Zaldy Co is currently in Portugal and that the Philippine government is coordinating with local authorities to secure his return.
Speaking during a press briefing in New York on the last day of his working visit to the United States, Marcos emphasized that Philippine law enforcement cannot simply apprehend Co abroad due to jurisdictional limits.
“You cannot bring him home because that is not the way it works. We have to ask for the assistance of the country where he is in, which is presently Portugal. That is what we have done,” Marcos said.
"You do not send your own police to go and pick him up kasi wala namang jurisdiction ang police doon sa kung saan ‘yung ibang bansa. So, they cannot arrest anyone. So, it will have to be with the assistance of the hosting country," he said.
The President added that the government has requested a Red Notice from Interpol and is maintaining ongoing communication with Portuguese authorities.
“Naglagay na tayo ng notice sa Interpol at patuloy ang ating ugnayan sa mga Portuguese authorities na pauwiin na siya,” he said.
“That's the process. You do not send your own police to go and pick him up kasi wala namang jurisdiction ang police doon sa kung saan ‘yung ibang bansa. So, they cannot arrest anyone. So, it will have to be with the assistance of the hosting country,” Marcos explained.
Co has been on the run for over three months since a warrant was issued against him. He faces graft and malversation charges related to an allegedly anomalous P289.5-million flood control project in Oriental Mindoro, tied to his connections with the contractor, Sunwest Inc.
Earlier this week, the Sandiganbayan Sixth Division denied Co and others’ petition for bail, leaving him to remain at large while authorities work with international partners to secure his return.
