DZRH Logo
Marcos: Food supply enough despite Middle East tensions
Marcos: Food supply enough despite Middle East tensions
Nation
Marcos: Food supply enough despite Middle East tensions
by Luwela Amor20 March 2026
Photo courtesy: PCO/Facebook

President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. on Friday assured the public that the country’s food supply will remain sufficient, even in the long term, despite economic uncertainties caused by ongoing tensions in the Middle East.

The President said there is no need for concern over food availability, stressing that supply remains stable and adequate for the country’s needs.

“Ang supply ay hindi kailangan na mag-alala ang taumbayan. Ang food supply natin ay sapat kahit na pangmatagalan,” Marcos said.

He made the statement during a visit to the factory of Century Pacific Food, Inc., Calamba Distribution Center in Laguna province, a major producer of canned meat products, where he also met with food manufacturers.

Marcos thanked processed food companies for committing to keep prices steady despite global pressures. He noted that manufacturers have agreed not to raise prices “for as long as they can,” helping cushion the impact on consumers.

“Ang presyo natin ay kagaya, kaya magpapasalamat tayo sa mga private sector, kagaya ng Century, na sila ay pumayag na huwag itaas muna, na huwag itaas ang presyo ng bilihin,” he said.

According to Marcos, prices of basic goods are expected to remain unchanged for at least one to two months, as supply continues to be sufficient and the government maintains close monitoring of essential commodities.

“Sila naman ay pumapayag na to keep the prices na hindi muna mataas basta ba tayo tumataas, hindi tataas ang presyo hangga’t kaya nila. Kaya siguro mga isang buwan, yung iba baka dalawang buwan hindi magagalaw ang presyo,” the President added.

He added that the government is continuously tracking market conditions to ensure that the daily needs of Filipinos remain accessible and affordable.

The assurance comes as fuel prices in the country continue to rise, with some reaching as high as P100 per liter due to staggered adjustments by oil companies reacting to instability in the Middle East.

In response to rising fuel costs, Marcos earlier ordered the suspension of a planned public utility vehicle (PUV) fare hike to ease the burden on commuters. However, several transport groups criticized the move, saying the government’s P5,000 financial assistance is not enough to offset increasing fuel expenses.

Earlier this week, the President also assured the public that supplies of food, fuel, and fertilizer remain “normal” despite the geopolitical situation.

The price pressures stem from escalating tensions in the region, where defense systems in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) have reportedly intercepted missiles launched by Iran following retaliatory strikes. The conflict was triggered weeks after a joint United States and Israel-led military operation targeted Iranian nuclear facilities.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read