DZRH Logo
Majority of Filipinos want ex-Pres. Duterte held accountable for drug war killings — SWS
Majority of Filipinos want ex-Pres. Duterte held accountable for drug war killings — SWS
Nation
Majority of Filipinos want ex-Pres. Duterte held accountable for drug war killings — SWS
by Mary Antalan14 October 2025
Photo courtesy: PCO

At least 50% of Filipinos believe former President Rodrigo Roa Duterte should be held accountable for the killings linked to his administration’s war on drugs, according to the latest Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey commissioned by the Stratbase Group.

The nationwide poll, conducted from September 24 to 30, 2025, interviewed 1,500 adults through face-to-face surveys and has a ±3% margin of error.

Results showed that 50% of respondents agreed Duterte should face accountability before the International Criminal Court (ICC), while 32% disagreed, 15% were undecided, and 4% said they did not know enough to give an opinion.

Support for accountability was highest in the Visayas (54%), followed by Metro Manila (53%), Balance Luzon (52%), and Mindanao (39%), Duterte’s known political stronghold.

By age group, Filipinos aged 55 and older registered the strongest support for accountability at 62%, followed by those aged 45 to 54 (52%), 35 to 44 (45%), and 18 to 24 (43%).

The SWS asked respondents:
“Gaano po kayo sumasang-ayon o hindi sumasang-ayon na dapat panagutin si dating Pangulong Rodrigo Duterte sa International Criminal Court ukol sa mga patayang may kaugnayan laban sa ilegal na droga noong panahon ng kanyang administrasyon?”

The release of the survey results came shortly after the ICC Pre-Trial Chamber denied Duterte’s request for interim release, citing that his continued detention “remains necessary to ensure his appearance at trial, prevent obstruction of proceedings, and stop potential commission of further crimes.”

Duterte’s legal counsel, Nicholas Kaufman, had earlier sought an indefinite suspension of pre-trial proceedings, claiming the former president was unfit to stand trial due to “cognitive impairment in multiple domains.” The ICC postponed Duterte’s hearing, originally scheduled for September 23, in response to the defense request.

Duterte first appeared before the ICC on March 14, three days after his arrest in Manila, where judges confirmed his identity, informed him of the charges, and outlined his legal rights.

The ICC Prosecutor has charged Duterte with murder and frustrated murder over 49 incidents related to the drug war during his tenure as Davao City mayor and President of the Philippines.

In a statement, Stratbase Group President Victor Andres “Dindo” Manhit said the findings reflect “the growing public recognition that accountability must prevail regardless of political power.”

“The data clearly show that Filipinos believe justice and rule of law are essential foundations of our democracy. People understand that no one, not even a former president, should be above the law,” Manhit said.

He added that the results signify a public shift “from popularity to responsibility,” emphasizing that Filipinos now prioritize justice and transparency over political loyalty.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read