

Senate President Vicente C. Sotto III on Monday downplayed rumors of a coup d’état or change in Senate leadership, stressing that supposed intrigues should not distract lawmakers from their legislative duties.
In a press conference on Monday, October 6, Sotto said while there may be individuals attempting to sow discord, the Senate majority and minority leadership remain civil and in agreement on key matters.
“Posible, malamang may nag-iintriga lang sa Senado. Sapagkat kapag kausap ko naman ‘yong leadership ng minority, wala kaming hindi pagkakaunawaan,” he said.
Sotto explained that the Senate decided to suspend plenary sessions last week, except for the passage of pending treaties, in order to allow budget hearings and committee work to proceed without interruption.
Normally, hearings are cut short at 3 p.m. to make way for the session, a practice that delays legislative progress, he noted.
He emphasized that the Senate’s legislative process relies heavily on committee work rather than plenary debates.
“There are few who are not aware of the fact that the Senate works through committees. We don’t work in plenary, we work through committees, kaya ang mga bills at ang agenda ay nanggagaling sa committee work,” he said.
The Senate leader underscored that the most important priority is the passage of the 2026 General Appropriations Act (GAA).
Following controversies over the 2025 budget, he said senators must ensure the next budget law is “very clean” and receives their full attention.
According to Sotto, the Senate will continue to function through budget deliberations and committee hearings.
“As far as the Senate is concerned, it is a working break because of the budget hearings and the committee hearings,” he added.
