DZRH Logo
Lawyers for VP Sara Duterte call new impeachment complaints baseless, says defense team is ready
Lawyers for VP Sara Duterte call new impeachment complaints baseless, says defense team is ready
Nation
Lawyers for VP Sara Duterte call new impeachment complaints baseless, says defense team is ready
by Thea Divina02 February 2026
Photo from Office of the Vice President / Facebook

The defense team of Vice President Sara Duterte on Monday said it is prepared to confront newly filed impeachment complaints against her, maintaining that the accusations lack both factual and legal basis.

In an official statement, spokesperson Atty. Michael Poa said the filing of new complaints “comes as no surprise,” noting that impeachment is a constitutional process that must be grounded in evidence and due process.

Poa emphasized that impeachment should not be driven by mere allegations or public sentiment amplified by media releases or social media activity.

Citing recent Supreme Court pronouncements, he said impeachment is “not merely a political process” but a constitutional mechanism governed by established standards and fair procedures.

“We are prepared to confront these allegations squarely through the proper constitutional processes,” Poa said, adding that the defense team is confident a fair and impartial review will show that the accusations are “devoid of both factual and legal basis.”

The defense team reiterated its readiness to engage in the impeachment process should it proceed, stressing its trust in constitutional safeguards and due process.

Earlier this morning, new impeachment complaints were filed at the House of Representatives on Monday morning, February 2, following a recent Supreme Court (SC) ruling that denied an earlier impeachment bid.

On the same day, a separate impeachment complaint was filed and endorsed by members of the Makabayan Bloc.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read