DZRH Logo
Lawmakers press PSA over alleged lapses in identity verification of Joseph Sy’s case
Lawmakers press PSA over alleged lapses in identity verification of Joseph Sy’s case
Nation
Lawmakers press PSA over alleged lapses in identity verification of Joseph Sy’s case
by Thea Divina09 March 2026
Photos from Senate of the Philippines

The Senate Subcommittee on Justice and Human Rights on Monday resumed its inquiry into alleged institutional failures in the country’s documentation system, focusing on the possible misuse of government-issued identification, birth records, and visas.

The hearing, chaired by Senator Risa Hontiveros, revisited the case of businessman Joseph Sy, who has been tagged during the inquiry as “Alice Guo 2.0” due to questions surrounding the legitimacy of his Filipino identity.

Lawmakers sought updates from the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), and the Bureau of Immigration (BI) regarding reports that more than 1,200 Chinese nationals were able to obtain birth certificates in Davao de Oro.

Senators also discussed intelligence reports about alleged Filipino spies working for China, which officials warned could pose a threat to national security.

During the hearing, Hontiveros questioned the PSA over what she described as a “mysterious delay” in endorsing to the Office of the Solicitor General the cancellation of Sy’s birth certificate despite earlier findings of irregularities.

PSA Director for Legal Services Eliezer Ambatali acknowledged the delay, explaining that the agency needed to complete and verify supporting documents before sending its recommendation. However, Hontiveros pointed out that the PSA had already informed the committee in December that Sy’s late birth registration contained irregularities.

“So why did it take three months?” the senator asked, noting that the endorsement was only sent to the OSG on March 2 after the committee followed up with the agency days earlier.

Ambatali told the panel that investigators found several indicators suggesting possible fraud in Sy’s registration, including a baptismal certificate that could not be verified, an affidavit notarized by an unverified lawyer, and the absence of civil registry records for Sy’s parents despite entries stating they were married in Balanga, Bataan.

The listed “hilot,” or traditional birth attendant, also had no corresponding records.

The PSA also disclosed that it has identified around 1,640 suspected cases of fraudulently obtained birth certificates nationwide, many of them concentrated in Davao de Oro, with additional cases recorded in Nueva Ecija, Zambales, Bulacan, La Union, and parts of Metro Manila.

In her closing remarks, Hontiveros warned that the issue reflects a broader weakness in the country’s civil registry system, which she said could be easily manipulated.

“Malinaw po ang lumitaw sa hearing na ito, hindi iisang kaso ang problema natin, ito’y problema ng sistemang madaling manipulahin,” Hontiveros said.

“Sa kaso ni Joseph Sy, nakita muli natin ang paggamit ng kahinaan ng dokumento at proseso sa civil registry, upang makapasok sa mahahalagang sektor ng ating ekonomiya. Ang isang taong ang mismong pagkakilanlan ay ngayon pa lamang nauusisa,” the senator added.

She emphasized the need for a “whole-of-government response” to address the problem and prevent individuals from exploiting gaps in government processes.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read