

Laguna 4th District Rep. Benjamin “Benjie” Agarao Jr. on Tuesday denied knowing government contractors Curlee and Sarah Discaya, who earlier accused him and several other politicians of receiving kickbacks from flood control projects.
Agarao appeared before the Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) in its first-ever livestreamed hearing on the flood control scandal, following Discaya’s allegation that he received a ₱9-million kickback from flood control project.
“Nagulat nga po ako kung bakit ako nadawit dito noong 2022 hanggang 2025, hindi po ako nakaupong congressman noon. Hindi ko po personal na kilala iyong mag-asawang Discaya at wala po akong matandaan na transaksyon sa kanila,” Agarao insisted he had no personal or professional dealings with the couple.
“Hindi ako nakaupo noon, wala akong maipapangakong proyekto hindi ako Congressman ng panahon na yan," he added.
When questioned by ICI Chair Andy Reyes, Agarao said he was perplexed by why his name surfaced in the supposed transactions.
“Hindi ko alam ang motibo ng mag-asawa, kasi nga hindi ako nakaupo sa sinasabi nilang panahon hindi ko lubos na maisip na mabanggit nila ako,” he said.
Asked whether the alleged ₱9-million may have been an advance during the election period, Agarao firmly denied the possibility.
The lawmaker also denied the Discayas’ claim that he received an expensive exotic bulldog, joking that he wouldn’t want a bulldog anyway because they drool, and that his first love has always been the German Shepherd.
No bagman, no right-hand man
Meanwhile, Agarao further denied having a “bagman” or intermediary for supposed illicit transactions, saying his office does not operate in such a manner.
"Alam ko lang po contractor po siya… Pero yun pong malapit, wala po akong mahabang relasyon," he said.
The Discayas earlier identified a certain Alvin Mariano as allegedly representing Agarao.
Which earlier, the ICI has requested an Immigration Lookout Bulletin Order (ILBO) against several individuals connected to the inquiry, including Mariano.
Agarao stressed that any contracts undertaken in his district are processed through regular channels.
Legal action vs. Discaya couple?
ICI Special Adviser Rodolfo Azurin asked whether the congressman planned to pursue charges against the Discayas.
Agarao said that he would consult his family and lawyers on possible legal action.
"Ayaw ko pong palampasin ang kalapastangan na ginawa ng mga Discaya sa aking pagkatao," he emphasized.
The lawmaker first served in Congress from 2004 to 2007, returned in 2013, and completed three terms until early 2022. His daughter served as representative for the 2022–2025 term, before he won the seat again.
Furthermore, Agarao refused to surrender the phone record to the ICI, but is willing to return to the commission.
The Discaya couple previously testified in a Senate Blue Ribbon Committee hearing that Agarao and several other lawmakers pressured them to participate in anomalous biddings for infrastructure projects.
The ICI is expected to summon additional individuals in the coming weeks, which includes Davao City Rep. Paolo "Pulong" Duterte and Ilocos Norte 1st District Sandro Marcos as it expands its investigation into irregularities in flood control projects nationwide.
