

Senate President Pro Tempore Panfilo “Ping” Lacson admitted on Monday, October 20, that his possible return as chairman of the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee (BRC) could come with serious political "consequences" including the risk of losing members of the majority bloc and, ultimately, the Senate leadership itself.
Lacson said the idea of retaking the chairmanship was discussed with Senate President Vicente “Tito” Sotto III, and was prompted by the request of several senators from the majority group.
However, he cautioned that such a move would not be without repercussions.
“If I am elected again to head the committee, we should be ready for any and all consequences of my actions and decisions, including losing some members of the majority bloc and, consequently, the Senate presidency,” Lacson said.
The Blue Ribbon Committee, one of the most influential bodies in the Senate, is tasked with investigating cases of government corruption and misconduct. Currently, the committe investigates the alleged anomalies in flood control projects and infrastructure projects.
Lacson stepped down as chairman on October 6, and Senator Erwin Tulfo was appointed as acting chair following his resignation.
Despite this, several senators from the majority bloc have reportedly expressed their desire for Lacson to resume his post.
Lacson recalled that when he decided to resign earlier this month, he had already anticipated the potential political instability that might arise from his move.
“In retrospect, a simple, practical question crossed my mind when I decided to resign last October 6: What Blue Ribbon chairmanship are we talking about if we lose the majority to the current Cayetano-led minority bloc?," Lacson said.
"Having said all that, if I decide to get back the BRC chairmanship, that question will no longer be a factor,” he added.
However, Sotto confirmed that there remains a possibility for Lacson to be reinstated, saying he supports any move that promotes transparency and accountability in government.
