

Senate President Pro Tempore Panfilo “Ping” Lacson formally submitted his resignation as chairman of the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee to Senate President Vicente “Tito” Sotto III on Monday evening, October 6.
In Lacson’s resignation letter, he revealed that his exit as Blue Ribbon Committee chair was prompted by growing dissatisfaction among fellow senators over the ‘direction’ of the ongoing investigation into alleged corruption in flood control projects.
“Some senators publicly and secretly pursue the narrative that I am zeroing in on several of my colleagues while purportedly protecting those members of the Lower House perceived to be the principal actors in the budget anomalies related to the substandard and ghost flood control projects,” Lacson said, addressing criticisms surrounding his handling of the Senate investigation.
However, Lacson firmly denied allegations that he was protecting certain individuals in the flood control investigation, “Nothing could be further from the truth. This narrative is categorically false.”
He also said that the accusations were being spread by critics who oppose the Senate’s efforts to uncover the truth behind alleged irregularities in the implementation of flood control projects.
“We go where the evidence leads us, not by the noise coming from highly partisan political persuasions,” he added.
Lacson assured his fellow senators that politics does not influence his actions as the chairman of the Blue Ribbon Committee. He emphasized that his decisions in the hearings are not driven by political motives, adding that he has no plans to seek any elective position after his term ends in 2031.
Lacson previously announced his resignation on Sunday, citing criticisms from some of his fellow senators over the committee’s investigation into alleged irregularities in flood control projects, accusing him of targeting senators while allegedly sparing members of the House of Representatives who are seen as key figures in the budget irregularities.
Moreover, earlier in the press briefing held on the same day, Senate President Vicente "Tito" Sotto shared that Lacson was reportedly disheartened over the ongoing hearings of the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee on alleged corruption within the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).
“The man is frustrated. I will support whatever decision he makes, and I will accept whatever decision he makes. He has my 100% support, whatever it is,” Sotto said, expressing support to Lacson amid the senator’s decision to step down from his post.
