

JAKARTA, March 31 (Reuters) - Indonesia summoned officials from Meta and Google over non-compliance with social media restrictions for children under 16 that went into full effect last week, a minister said in a video statement published on Tuesday.
Indonesia requires social media companies with platformsit deems high risk to deactivate accounts belonging to childrenunder 16, under a regulation that went into effect last week.
Meutya Hafid, Indonesia's Communications and DigitalMinister, said Meta and Google are "two business entities thatare non-compliant with the law" and that they were summoned onMonday to "undergo checks".
Failure to implement the curbs may result in sanctions oreven a block on the platform, the ministry has said.
Meutya said Google and Meta had opposed the curbs from thevery beginning.
Google and Meta did not immediately respond to a requestfor comment on Tuesday. Both companies said last week they hadput in place safeguards for children.
Roblox and TikTok, owned by China's ByteDance, are twoother platforms deemed high risk by the ministry. Meutya saidthe ministry sent a warning to the two companies to be fullycompliant or risk being summoned. TikTok and Roblox did notimmediately respond to a request for comment.
Indonesia's curbs, which the government says are intendedto reduce the risk of cyberbullying and addiction, follow a banin Australia last year over concerns about social media'spotential harms to young people's mental health.
The criteria for high-risk platforms include thepossibility of talking to strangers, addictive qualities andpsychological risks, the ministry said.
Internet penetration in Indonesia reached 80.66% in 2025,according to a survey by the Indonesia Internet ServiceProviders' Association. The survey showed it was 87.8% among"Gen Z" users aged 13 to 28.
There are about 70 million children under 16 in Indonesia, Meutya said.
(Reporting by Stanley Widianto; Editing by John Mair)
