The Makabayan bloc stressed that the impeachment complaints filed against President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. are not an "attack" on the administration but a move to demand accountability.
According to a report by RH Milky Rigonan on Wednesday, January 28, the progressive lawmakers said that Marcos would do better if he directly responds to the impeachment complaints instead of framing them as politically motivated attacks.
The bloc also called on Palace Press Officer Undersecretary Claire Castro to stop arguing that the impeachment efforts are an attack on the administration that could harm the country and its economy.
According to Makabayan representatives, including ACT Teachers Party-list Rep. Antonio Tiñio, Kabataan Party-list Rep. Renee Co, and Gabriela Rep. Sarah Elago, what truly damages the economy is corruption and the public outrage that arises when no one is held accountable.
Makabayan emphasized that impeachment is a constitutional mechanism designed to hold impeachable officials accountable and should not be obstructed or blocked.
Meanwhile, Batangas Representative Gerville Luistro said that no additional impeachment complaints may be filed against Marcos after the House Committee on Justice received two impeachment complaints, citing the one-year bar rule.
“As a matter of fact, wala ng pwedeng humabol kasi ito yung paulit-ulit kong sinasabi basta may makarating na impeachment complaint sa justice committee following the Francisco ruling it completes the initiation process,” Luistro said.
“Therefore, it bars all subsequent impeachment complaints against the same impeachable official, and it likewise triggers the running of the one-year prohibition period,” she added.
The House Committee on Justice is set to conduct its “initial sufficiency review” from February 2 to February 4, during which it will determine the sufficiency in form and substance of the two impeachment complaints filed against Marcos.
The first complaint was filed on January 19 by Atty. Andre de Jesus, and was endorsed by Pusong Pinoy Party-list Representative Jett Nisay. A second complaint was filed on January 26 by leaders of progressive groups and endorsed by the Makabayan Bloc.
Meanwhile, the Office of the Secretary General (OSG) of the House of Representatives initially refused to accept the second complaint, but it was later refiled. The group was unable to file the complaint last week as Garafil was in Taipei to receive a commendation from the Taiwanese government.
The first complaint accused the President of graft and corruption, culpable violation of the Constitution, and betrayal of public trust; while the second impeachment complaint accused the President of betrayal of public trust and alleged systematic and large-scale plunder of public funds through presidential and congressional allocations.


