

A private individual on Tuesday called on the Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) to investigate First Lady Liza Araneta-Marcos and tech billionaire Maynard Ngu for their alleged links to corruption in government infrastructure projects.
Cultural and peace advocate John Santander personally submitted a ‘letter of sentiment’ to the ICI office in Taguig City to include both individuals in its ongoing inquiry, as reported by RH Jecelle Ricafort.
In a media interview, Santander expressed concern that the commission has yet to summon Ngu, whom he claimed and who was earlier identified by former Public Works Undersecretary Roberto Bernardo, as allegedly acting as a “bagman” for Senator Chiz Escudero.
He added that the ICI should also investigate possible financial or political links between Ngu and First Lady Liza Marcos.
“Sana mabigyan ng aksyon. Ang gusto lang naman natin is yung maging patas at malinis. Lalo na ngayon, nakakahiya sa ibang bansa na patuloy at laganap pa rin ang corruption sa buong Pilipinas,” Santander said.
He presented to the media several photos showing the First Lady and Ngu together at public events, adding that Ngu was reportedly instrumental in recommending Bernardo for promotion to senior undersecretary of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).
Santander emphasized that his move was not politically motivated and that no organization was behind his action.
“Naniniwala kami na bilang kabataan at bilang mamamayan ng Pilipinas, sino ba ang pwedeng magtanggol? Sino ang mag-stand up para sa atin? Kung hindi tayo-tayo lang din. Wala naman tayong sinisiraan na kahit sino. Ang gusto lang namin marinig ‘yung boses namin. Walang kahit na involved na kahit sino man na organisasyon mula dito. Ito'y batay lamang sa sarili naming opinion at sa tingin namin makakatulong para sa pag-iimbestiga,” he said.
Santander also reminded the ICI that Ngu’s name had previously surfaced in connection with alleged irregularities in flood control projects, which the commission has yet to address.
When asked if the ICI promised to act on his complaint, Santander said ICI Executive Director, Atty. Brian Hosaka assured him that the documents he submitted would be reviewed.
Ngu, a prominent businessman, was appointed Special Envoy to China for Trade, Investment, and Tourism in 2023.
