The Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) said on Monday that it expects a delay in filing its case referral to the Office of the Ombudsman against three former or incumbent senators linked to alleged anomalies in government flood-control projects.
In a press conference, ICI Chair Andres Reyes Jr. said the commission is “reevaluating everything” after receiving the second supplemental affidavit of former Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Undersecretary Roberto Bernardo, who recently expanded his corruption allegations before the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee, RH Jecelle Ricafort reported.
“We are reevaluating everything because of the affidavit of Usec. Bernardo,” Reyes said.
“We're studying that. So we'll have a delay of maybe 10 days from last Friday. Hopefully, we'll finish it," he added.
The upcoming referral is expected to cover three more senators allegedly implicated in the controversial flood-control scam.
The commission has already recommended the filing of criminal and administrative cases against Senators Jinggoy Estrada and Joel Villanueva based on earlier findings.
Bernardo’s latest affidavit alleges widespread corruption and multi-billion-peso kickback schemes involving public infrastructure projects. Among those he named were Senator Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr., Makati City Mayor Nancy Binay, Senator Francis “Chiz” Escudero, Senator Jinggoy Estrada, former Senator Grace Poe, Caloocan Rep. Mary Mitzi “Mitch” Cajayon-Uy, San Jose del Monte Mayor Florida Robes, and resigned Ako Bicol Party-list Rep. Zaldy Co.
The ICI had earlier planned to transmit its referral to the Ombudsman this week, but now expects the process to be pushed back due to the new evidence.
Reyes said the delay reflects the commission’s commitment to due process.
“It shows that the machinery of law and due process is working as it should. This accomplishment is a triumph for the country and an encouragement to the employees of the ICI,” he added.


