DZRH Logo
ICC Asst. to Counsel: No significant interruption in OTP’s work amid Karim Khan's disqualification
ICC Asst. to Counsel: No significant interruption in OTP’s work amid Karim Khan's disqualification
Nation
ICC Asst. to Counsel: No significant interruption in OTP’s work amid Karim Khan's disqualification
by Mika Jenymae Rasing15 October 2025
Photo from the ICC website.

The International Criminal Court (ICC) Assistant to Counsel Atty. Kristia Conti said they do not anticipate a significant interruption to the work of the Office of the Prosecutor (OTP), despite the disqualification of ICC Chief Prosecutor Karim Khan from handling the case of former President Rodrigo Duterte.

“The prosecution of the case has been ably carried out by the Philippine team and led by deputy prosecutor Mame Mandiaye Niang since Khan went on voluntary leave in May 2025,” Conti said in a statement on Wednesday, October 15.

Khan’s voluntary leave came amid the sexual harassment charges against him. According to reports, Khan will take leave until the end of the external investigation, which began in late 2024. Moreover, a document obtained by the media cited documents outlining accusations against the chief prosecutor, alleging unwanted sexual touching and abuse.

Although Khan had denied the allegations, the Duterte camp moved to disqualify him from handling the independent body’s case, citing a “conflict of interest.” Duterte’s defense team argued that Khan had previous involvement with victims of the war on drugs.

“We are not fully convinced that there is basis to disqualify him. As disclosed, he had assisted a group of victims in sending a communication to the OTP prior to his appointment. We see no significant or fundamental conflict of interest between the victims and the OTP,” Conti said.

“Best if we wait for the decision of the appeals chamber to be made public so we can fully appreciate the matter,” she added.

The 80-year-old former president is awaiting trial at the ICC’s detention facility in The Hague, Netherlands.

Last week, the ICC Pre-Trial Chamber I rejected Duterte’s bid for an interim release, ensuring his presence at trial.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read