DZRH Logo
House prosecutors urge VP Duterte to face impeachment trial
House prosecutors urge VP Duterte to face impeachment trial
Nation
House prosecutors urge VP Duterte to face impeachment trial
by Elijah Gaven Mitra20 August 2026
Photo courtesy: Senate of the Philippines

The House prosecution panel on Thursday, August 20, renewed its call for Vice President Sara Duterte to personally attend her impeachment trial, saying her appearance would demonstrate respect for the constitutional accountability process and allow her to directly address questions raised by witnesses.

The remarks came after Akbayan called on Duterte to personally attend the proceedings if she truly wants the impeachment trial to move faster.

Atty. Benjamin Jay Tolosa said the prosecution respects Duterte’s decision to participate through her lawyers, as permitted under the rules, but acknowledged growing public calls for her personal attendance.

“We recognize that under the rules, the Vice President is allowed to either attend in person or through counsel and she chose the latter. So we respect that,” Tolosa said.

However, Tolosa said the Vice President’s personal appearance could demonstrate her respect for the impeachment process, which he described as one of the Constitution’s highest mechanisms of accountability.

“We can't ignore the opinions and sentiments of our fellow citizens who say that it's good for them to face the personnel to show their respect for this important institutional process, respect for impeachment proceedings,” he said.

Tolosa added that if Duterte continues to decline personal attendance, the decision would ultimately have to be explained to the public.

“Pero kung hindi pa rin siya haharap, again, tulad ng sabi namin, decision yan, at yan ay decision na kailangan ipaliwanag sa taong-bayan,” Tolosa said.

Rep. Zia Adiong separately renewed the prosecution’s call for Duterte to appear, particularly following the testimony of OVP Special Disbursing Officer Gina Acosta.

Acosta previously testified that she was instructed to transfer ₱125 million in confidential funds to former OVP security officer Col. Raymund Dante Lachica. During the proceedings, she identified Duterte as the person who ordered the transfer.

Adiong said Acosta’s testimony raised questions that, in the prosecution’s view, only Duterte could fully explain.

“Ngayon, sinasabi natin, the burden of proof now shifted to the defense,” Adiong said.

He argued that further questioning of Acosta would not necessarily answer why the Vice President allegedly gave the instruction.

“Bakit ’yon ang naging desisyon ng Bise Presidente? Maliban sa Bise Presidente mismo ang magpaliwanag sa taong-bayan,” Adiong said.

Adiong also cited Acosta’s testimony that, under the Joint Circular governing confidential funds, a security aide did not have the mandate or responsibility to use such funds.

According to the lawmaker, this has intensified calls for Duterte to personally address the allegations and explain the circumstances surrounding the transfer of the ₱125 million.

The prosecution panel emphasized, however, that Duterte remains entitled under the impeachment rules to participate through her legal counsel. Her absence from the proceedings does not, by itself, establish liability, as the allegations remain subject to the ongoing impeachment process and the evidence presented by both sides.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read